Style

Confessions of a Shopaholic: Fall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

My name is Kelly Webb. I have a confession to make. I have such a love for buying new items of clothing and the anticipation of wearing it. I must confess, I even love the smell of the mall. When I find an item of clothing that I really love, I buy it in multiple colors. I travel with multiple suitcases, even if it’s just a simple sleepover at one of my friends’ apartments—yes I’ll take a suitcase. I am definitely not the shopaholic that can be seen in Sophie Kinsella’s Confessions of a Shopoholic chick-flick series—later adapted into a rom-com starring Isla Fisher. I do not have an excessive amount of credit card debt or a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear. BUT, I know the feeling of retail therapy, I know the feeling of absolutely loving one item of clothing so much that I’d do anything for it. 

For all the shopaholics out there, ready or not, Fall 2021 is right around the corner. While we are fully prepared to mourn the end of Summer, the fashion trends this Fall are making me extremely excited for the changes ahead. I am sure you can agree, the past year and a half has brought a lot of dullness in terms of our wardrobes, and it’s time to shake things up. If that’s not a reason enough to invest in a happy new wardrobe, what is?! Whether you’re a shopaholic or not, these trends are definitely worth looking out for this fall! 

The 2000’s

Take a stroll with me down the memory lane… The fashion back then was, well kind of interesting and sometimes kind of cringe. But to everyone’s surprise, all those trends you once had a love-hate relationship with are officially the biggest trends right now. Yes, unfortunately that includes low-rise jeans. As many  of us want to deny that specific pair of jeans, its back. Let’s talk about butterfly clips, halter tops, trucker hats, plastic heels and translucent sunglasses. Want some tips on how to wear this trend without looking like you’re wearing a costume? I’ve got you covered. 

Tips: I suggest starting with the basic fashion staples such as a sweatshirt, some jeans and translucent sunglasses. These three items paired together are one heck of an outfit especially all together. My suggested items is this Boyfriend Crewneck Sweatshirt from Hollister paired with these Pretty Little Thing Light Blue Washed Boyfriend Jeans. My ultimate favorite 2000-style sunglasses are on Amazon, yes Amazon. An amazing deal I found were these 10 Square Vintage Sunglasses pack for only $18.99! This is definitely a good deal because now you basically have a pair of sunglasses for every occasion to enhance your look!

SATURATION

Neutrals and basics have dominated the fashion world for quite a few years now. While this trend isn’t exactly over, there is no question that saturated colors have been seen all over fashion week runways, the streets and basically everywhere! According to designers such as Jacquemus, Bottega Veneta and Salvatore Ferragamo, vibrant colors such as fuchsia, grass green and tangerine are some of the main palettes for this season. 

Tips: if you’re easing your way into brighter colors and not necessarily comfortable wearing such bright colors all together, ease your way into brighter hues by adding a pair of statement shoes to add a pop of color to any outfit! Statement shoes like THIS one from EgoOfficial.com are  a great place to start. If you’re really ready to commit, wear them head to toe for maximum impact as we saw on the fashion week runways. 

What is fall without knitwear?

Is it even Fall if you don’t have some sort of knitwear in your wardrobe? No. Everyone NEEDS knitwear! Even though I live in South Florida and there is really no “real” winter due to the humidity, there are some nights in the fall that tend to get pretty chilly—perfect for a cute knit vest! We recently saw models on the runways from head to toe in matching sets of knitwear from brands like Altuzarra, Khaite and Rebecca Minkoff. An oversized sweater has proved countless times to be the most classic knitwear staple, but my advice if you’re living in South Florida, a sweater-vest is the way to go. Designers like Raf Simons, Miu Miu and Loewe emphasize that, “the brighter the color, the better the sweater.”

Tips: if you’re just like me and live in South Florida, you may find that knitwear is only worn maybe once or twice even in Fall. I suggest something like this Solid Knit Crop Top from SHEIN paired with jeans to still give you the Fall Knitwear-look no matter the weather or location.

Print! Print! Print!

We are finally seeing the comeback of “the joy of dressing” through artistic and crafty prints. This Fall trend will make you look like a moving museum through geometric shapes and screen print patterns. We have seen countless times designers like Louis Vuitton push the boundaries of color and texture and create a collection of fashion statements. By shaking up this season’s Fall trends, we cannot think of anything better than some of these items listed below. 

Blue and Green Block Drop Shoulder Sweater from SHEIN

Fluffy Leopard Print Square Bag from SHEIN

Flare Print Jeans from Forever 21

Trends come and go, but certain pieces will always be forever. Fall 2021 fashion trends are officially back and that going out, dressing up feeling has officially been restored due to the COVID vaccinations that have been made available around the world. For us shopaholics, there’s no better feeling than now returning to stores and feeling the rush of seeing a new fashion collection enter one of your favorite stores in your local mall.

Kelly Webb is the Vice President and Content Creator Director of Her Campus at Lynn. Kelly is an international student from South Africa studying Fashion and Retail Management at Lynn University. She holds other leadership positions such as the Recruitment and Social Media Chair of Theta Phi Alpha sorority. Kelly is extremely creative and she loves sharing her passion and interests with others.