Style

Bringing Popular Winter Wear to Summerland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Being fashion forward in Florida during winter can be quite difficult, as the warm temperatures often make it challenging for people to be trendy while also trying not to overheat. Still, Floridians should not fret when picking their outfit, instead opting for creativity in their attire.

My first winter in Florida taught me two very important things. One, not every state has the same definition of winter and two, I learned to have great creativity and adaptability skills. For me, my favorite winter outfit to wear is my blue jeans, tan sweater, scarf and boots combo. I learned very fast that I needed to adjust this outfit as the weather was not as cold as I was used to. With that being said, I got rid of the scarf  and exchanged my boots for ankle boots. By making those small little changes, I was still able to continue wearing my favorite winter outfit in Florida’s definition of winter.

Winter is meant to bring out all furs and sweaters, no matter the shape, size or color. With that being said, a little warm weather cannot stop the presence of these here in the south. While fashionistas in the northern states will be showing off oversized turtleneck sweaters or sweaters with ruffles, ribbing and eyelet detail, here in south we’ll be doing the same but with our own twist on it.

Fur coats are the go-to trend this winter. Still, there is just one problem for locals – – fur in Florida is sure to make individuals melt. A simple way to solve this problem is by wearing a fur vest instead of a coat. This allows individuals to participate in the furry trend without having to worry about the warm temperatures.

Furthermore, there are other ways to be trendy besides wearing certain clothing items. Colors play a big role in the fall and winter seasons as well. Individuals could opt to swap their bright colors and incorporate muted tones.

For example, this year’s winter colors are silver, pink, Klein blue, red yellow, orange, army green and beige. Wearing a Klein blue vest or lightweight jacket will not only look stylish but will also help the adjustment to warm weather.

All it takes is a little creativity and thinking outside-of-the-box to be trendy during the faux winter season in Florida, and the entire community can embrace that.

Jayla Hall is the Senior Editor of the Her Campus chapter at Lynn University. She is a junior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in public relations.  After graduating in Spring 2020, Hall plans to move to her dream city of Nashville, Tenn. to pursue a career in public relations. Hall spends her free time relaxing at the beach/pool while catching up on the latest trends in the fashion, beauty and fitness world.
Lynn University Chapter of Her Campus.