This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

It is easy to work yourself to the bone; that is when laziness is not interfering with your to-do list. When your brain becomes a pinball machine of ideas, the clutter can lead to a crash. It is common for people to pile their plates high and keep themselves active and busy, but to what extent? You can’t be productive if you are mentally fried; that is an oxymoron. So if you feel like a hamster on a wheel, maybe it is time to take a break.

We all do it… it happens! Life gets in the way, and there are only 24 hours a day, so how do you keep yourself from chasing your tail and getting it all done? The secret is to cut yourself some slack: do what you can and remember that there is a tomorrow. Planning it all out can help ease your mind and your nerves. Break down your 24 hours so that you can take care of yourself while tackling those items that have to get done. 

If you do not fuel your body with nutrients, it is equivalent to driving a car with no gas. Your brain burns energy even when sitting and breathing, so to avoid burnout make time to nourish yourself. A little TLC (Tough love and care) never hurt anyone. Don’t feel guilty for putting yourself first; if you do, remember that you can’t help others until you help yourself.

“When I’m tired, I rest. I say, ‘I can’t be a superwoman today.’” – Jada Pinkette Smith 

It is okay to admit that your battery has to be recharged. If you do not rest, your body will retaliate. You cannot operate at your maximum capacity if your organs are at war with themselves. Sleep is crucial for regenerating energy, so you are not running on empty. Self-care is not a crime; it is the rehabilitation to the path of success.

Brain burnout is the result of lacking self-care. When the homeostasis of life is thrown out of whack, your body and all aspects of life suffer. Don’t fall into the rabbit hole of work and sacrifice your well-being, or in the end, both will suffer.

Andrea Sofia Berman is a creative writer and Education major. She is passionate about children and helping people. She loves to use creativity to express herself, and hopes to spread positivity through writing.