1137cab4 cf5e 4300 aa89 70d63597d573 1a4f349f209580b5fbf8da95dac8816ed?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
1137cab4 cf5e 4300 aa89 70d63597d573 1a4f349f209580b5fbf8da95dac8816ed?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Walmart

Birthday Bash Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Life is too short not to celebrate the simple times, so why do people shy away from birthdays? Colorful balloons, flowy streamers, cheerful confetti, and sugary sweets are reasons to contribute to this yearly tradition. I understand it can be uncomfortable to be center stage and have all eyes on you, but think of the memories you and your loved ones can make. You don’t want to be old and gray without a story to tell. 

Birthdays appeared with the creation of calendars tracked by moon cycles and seasons. Civilizations such as the Egyptians and Greeks were the first to practice traditions related to our jovial celebration of the day we were born. As a way to honor the pharaohs, gods, and goddesses, both cultures would bring offerings to their leaders. Some of these presents included candles and cakes; today, these symbols of festivity are markers of each year we continue to grow as individuals.

There is much to be said about living another year: not just from the perspective of survival. Each day we are on this planet is an opportunity to reinvent ourselves. We tend to dwell on what didn’t happen at a specific instant and, as a result, get caught in this catch-22 of trying to live a life avoiding that feeling of regret. Celebrating the day you were brought into this world is a form of gratitude.

It is perfectly normal to prefer a lowkey lifestyle, but on your birthday, you are unique. According to Oprah Winfrey, “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” Life is a movie, and it is the transition clips that make up the most memorable moments. Don’t hyperfocus so much on the destination of where you think your life should go, instead, appreciate the journey you are living.

Your birthday is monumental because it signifies you are just another year wiser. The older we get, the less birthdays are acknowledged; that does not have to be the case. Use this particular day, once a year, to reflect on your life so far and set goals for yourself. No matter your age, you have another opportunity to commemorate your existence.

Andrea Sofia Berman is a creative writer and Education major. She is passionate about children and helping people. She loves to use creativity to express herself, and hopes to spread positivity through writing.