This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

When we start our “healthy life,” we commonly make the mistake of limiting ourselves to only eating healthy food without caring about the amount. Since it is “healthy,” we think it is okay to eat significant portions. However, it is not the case. It all depends on what you want to accomplish. Not sure what I mean? Don’t worry. I’ll guide you through it!

The number of calories you eat per day all depends on your goal. For example, if you want to lose weight, you will be in a calorie deficit. Being in a calorie deficit means that you eat fewer calories than the ones you burn. So, no matter if a food is considered “healthy,” you have to control the portions you eat because, in the end, all the calories sum up. 

It is pretty similar when you want to gain weight. Despite eating more than what you burn, you still have to control the portions you are ingesting. In this case, you need a certain amount of carbohydrates, proteins, and vegetables to gain weight. If you eat a significant amount of protein but no vegetables or carbohydrates, you probably won’t accomplish your goal. 

At the same time, eating unhealthy food in enormous amounts is not beneficial even though you are trying to gain weight. Unhealthy food, such as fast food, or food with a high amount of added sugar, sodium, etc., will not make your body progress as you want to. Therefore, you have to make sure that you include the right amount of carbohydrates, proteins, vegetables, fat, and fruits each day. 

Now, you might wonder: how do I know the exact portions that are good for me? 

The best advice I can give you is to visit a nutritionist. No one will help you better than a professional. Google diets or TikToks won’t function because they aren’t personalized. The nutritionist will take your measurements and make a plan based on what is best for you.

On the other hand, some of you might think: well, I have my diet, and I am committed to it. However, sometimes I feel I can’t control myself, and I overeat or binge. Do you have a problem with overeating or binging? Stay tuned for the following article!

Cinthia is a Sophomore at Lynn University majoring in Graphic Design. Originally from Nicaragua, Cinthia decided to study in the United States while remaining in close proximity to her native country; thus, she chose to pursue her education in Florida. In the future, she aims to represent the visual identity of different brands and organizations. Besides her academic interests, Cinthia enjoys photography and hanging out with friends.