This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

When you’re a teenager there are many things you want to do or buy, places you want to go see but sadly all of those things cost money. You may be lucky enough to have a lot of money saved up or your parents giving you a decent allowance each month that allows you to have a rather social life. But the majority of college students don’t have a lot of money saved up and the parents may not be giving them a large allowance, but that is OK because you can still have fun without money! 

Living in sunny South Florida there are many things to do, and the most common one would be to go to the beach. When going to the beach the only thing you really have to pay for is parking. At the beach there’s nothing tempting to buy. You know you won’t be spending money but you are doing something. For us Lynn students we can choose from multiple eating plans from the dining hall therefore you don’t need to spend extra money on food as you have access to food on campus. 

If you think about it, majority of people do not have a lot of money to spend as a college student. Therefore, together, you guys can brainstorm to come up with ideas for things to do that are cheaper. I think it’s time for us to use what we learned in high school about budgeting and put it to use now. One thing I recommend all colleges to do is to not ask people to borrow money or lend people money unless it is an emergency. This would be a big mistake as if you lend money to a friend they may think it is okay and can keep asking for more money. In the end they may never pay you back and in my opinion it is very wrong to not pay people back. 

It may seem hard to say no to your friend when they ask to borrow money, but be honest with them and explain how you feel if you’re uncomfortable lending them money. They should understand where you’re coming from as it belongs to you.You have the right to choose what you want to do with your money. Not lending your friend money should not break your friendship!

Even if you’re not a broke college student you kinda need to act like one or else you will stick out like a sore thumb, many people may start to use you for your resources and that can become annoying when you end up not benefiting from the situation in the future. College is all about adventure, so finding things to do by spending the least possible amount of money is an adventure itself, therefore have fun with it and don’t see it as a challenge. 

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.