This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

The only way we can be sustainable is by reducing some of the Earth’s resources that we use to protect it. There are many ways we can do this. For example, by restricting energy or using eco-friendly products. Every day our world is changing due to the choices we make that can affect the environment. Just the simplest ways can make a difference! If we come together and start helping our planet there will be room for our wildlife and plants. According to The ActiveTimes here is a list of 9 ways to be sustainable this year! 

Saving Energy  

Reducing energy is good for the environment because we are limiting the number of carbon emissions. This helps our environment because limiting these numbers can result in better air quality. There are many ways we can save energy at home, such as switching off the lights when not using it. 

Use Reusable Water Bottles

When using plastic water bottles most of them go into the ocean creating an unsafe environment for our wildlife. You can help with this issue by using reusable water bottles! Some reusable water bottle brands are Swell, Hydroflask, you can also buy one off of Amazon too!

Drive Less 

Depending on where you live this might not be for you, but if you live in the city take advantage of the public transportation, or even if it is a nice day taking a walk also helps. Driving less helps the environment because the exhaust from the car releases carbon monoxide which is not only bad for our health and it is a contributor to global warming. 

Stop Using Plastic Bags And Switch Over To Reusable Bags!  

Using reusable bags helps is one of the simplest ways to reduce waste. You can buy reusable bags just about anywhere! Some places you could go to get your special reusable bag are Target, Walmart and even Amazon

Making Sure to Turn Off The Water When You Are Not Using  

For example, when you are brushing your teeth or even showering while washing your hair make sure not to forget to turn the water off when it is not being in use.

Unplug All Appliances When They Are Not Being Used  

Ways you can reduce energy is by unplugging your appliances when they are not being used. For example, a toaster oven or a coffee maker. 

Air Drying Your Hair  

When after showering rather than blow-drying, air dries it instead. When drying your hair with a blow-dryer you are wasting energy. Drying your hair might take a little long but at least energy is not being wasted.

Saying No To Plastic Straws  

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), about 8 million ton of plastic enters the ocean every year. This is harmful to the marine ecosystem. Save the turtles! 

Donating Clothes You Do Not Wear  

Not only does donating the clothes you do not wear help people in need but it is also good for our environment. It does good for the environment because clothing that is sitting in landfill releases carbon dioxide into the air when they are being broken down. If you need to donate any clothing Goodwill accepts clothes in any condition so they can be reused or recycled.

As you saw in this article, even the simplest ways can help improve our environment and make it a safe place for our planet. So let’s do our best to contribute with what we can!

Kayla is currently a Senior at Lynn University majoring in Communications  with a focus on social media. Kayla spends a lot of her time participating in a variety of Lynn’s media outlets. Kayla has co hosted a weekly segment for the Lynn radio and for the past year has been a contributor on Her Campus Lynn social media and wrirting for the magazine.
Lynn University Chapter of Her Campus.