This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

As a freshman at college, I can definitely relate when you feel overwhelmed or exhausted as you are going through college and changing different aspects of your life. From academic pressure to social anxiety, difficulties to balance lifestyle and mental health is a very common issue college students follow. However, if we are self-aware of our situation, we can prevent this from happening. 

You may ask yourself: how? Don’t worry! I got you. 

Prioritize Yourself

Before I get into the other tips, I want to emphasize how important it is to put yourself first not only in college but in every aspect of your life. As you are transitioning into a new phase, you may encounter different situations in which you may feel overwhelmed. But always think of what is best for you. 

For example, if your friends want you to go out a night before your exam, think of what is better for you. Do you want to risk your academic success for a night out? Do you feel you are going to be prepared for the next day? Always keep in mind what is best for you and your success. 

Plan Your Days

A good habit you should create while in college if you have not yet done it is to organize yourself daily. Whether it is on your calendar or schedule, every morning, write down what you have to complete throughout the day. This will help you be self-aware of your responsibilities and be more productive. 

Bonus Tip: If you feel extra creative, Canva has a variety of calendars or to-do templates you can use.

Take Advantage Of Your College Resources

If you need help in any way, look at what your college can offer you regarding that situation. As students, we sometimes feel stressed about different issues without realizing there are people on campus who can help us. Colleges now offer hundreds of resources students can rely on, from creating resumes and helping you build your academic schedule to counseling services. 

Don’t feel alone and that you need to complete everything without asking for help. 

Avoid Procrastination

I understand that it is easy for us to procrastinate, especially when we lack motivation. However, it is essential to realize that sooner or later, you need to submit that assignment. Due dates will be in our lives forever, and if we tend to create the habit of completing duties until the last minute, this may have consequences in the future. 

Think of it from this perspective: you will have the time to do what you like after you are done with your responsibilities; why not complete it now and then enjoy your free time without having anything pending on your mind? I highly encourage you to complete your assignments before instead of procrastinating and turning in something that does not represent the quality work you make. This will also prevent you from stress as all your classwork accumulates. 

Remember: your friends, phone, Netflix, and social media will always be there. 

Give Yourself a Break

Understanding you can’t do everything is important. College is supposed to be four years full of experiences you must enjoy. You will have time to do a lot, so give yourself a break and don’t try to rush things. This also relates to when you feel exhausted or with a lot of pressure. Instead of building upon that stress, give yourself a break and do things you enjoy. For example, go out for a walk or go get yourself a treat.

Most importantly, remember we are all in the same situation. College is expected to be complicated and sometimes overwhelming, so it is okay to feel that way. If we learn how to cope with it correctly, we will create good habits to help us in the future.

Cinthia is a Sophomore at Lynn University majoring in Graphic Design. Originally from Nicaragua, Cinthia decided to study in the United States while remaining in close proximity to her native country; thus, she chose to pursue her education in Florida. In the future, she aims to represent the visual identity of different brands and organizations. Besides her academic interests, Cinthia enjoys photography and hanging out with friends.
Lynn University Chapter of Her Campus.