5 Emo and Pop Punk Christmas Songs To Put On Your Christmas Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Getting into the spirit for Christmas early is always exciting. You can start decorating the tree, hanging up lights, and start listening to your favorite holiday songs. Pop artists have some great covers of classic Christmas songs and even some originals. However, if you want something a little faster, check out this list of 5 emo and pop punk Christmas songs to put on your Christmas playlist. I’ve been listening to a few of these songs since my freshman year of college, and they have become my absolute favorites! 

1. All I Want For Christmas Is You cover by My Chemical Romance

This one is definitely my favorite out of the list because of how different it is from the original song. I love the way they changed up the chorus, especially with the line “All I want for christmas is you”. They still keep it like the original song with a slow intro but then when the hi-hat kicks in you know it’s about to get wild! The song also did something with the bridge that made it more of a breakdown. Fun fact, I learned all of the words to the song by listening to this version! 

1. Alone This Holiday by The Used 

I personally just love this song because of the catchy riff, vocals, and bridge. I can listen to it at any point in the year because it is just that good. The vocals just seem so raw and not polished which happens in a lot of songs by The Used on their earlier albums. The guitar in the opening riff, but just overall rhythm just makes it sound fun and can brighten up the holidays. My favorite part of the song is the bridge with the main riff still sounding great as it does in the verses and the screaming putting it altogether. If this seems like your style, give it a listen. 

1. Happy Christmas cover by SDC feat, Bert McCracken

Bert from The Used really shows off his singing abilities in this one! This song isn’t as heavy as the last two and is actually quite pretty. I always thought it was also by The Used but when doing research, I realized that Bert was only a featured artist. There are a lot of bells and drums in this one, and like mentioned earlier, isn’t as heavy. The drums are very rhythmic and fit well with the almost haunting vocals. Give this one a listen- it’s going to blow you away. 

1. I Won’t Be Home For Christmas by Blink-182

I had never heard this song before but I knew that Blink had some great Christmas songs. This one is right up there with the others because of how classic pop-punk it is. It is not too fast paced but still makes for a good song.  Mark’s vocals just sound great and go with the tone of the guitars. The main riff of the song also just brings the classic pop-punk sound like mentioned earlier, but also just sounds like just another Blink song with their specific style! I usually don’t listen to Blink, but I found the song fun and you might too! 

1. Merry Christmas Kiss My A** By All Time Low

I’ve been listening to this song for a few years now, and it always puts me in the holiday spirit. The melody, chorus, and bells really tie the song altogether. Just like with I Won’t Be Home For Christmas, it tells a story with the lyrics. The main vocalist  in the song is singing about how his ex played him during the relationship and how certain Christmas traditions are ruining the holiday for him since it reminds him of her. I love the riff in the song especially in the beginning of the song, as it’s the first thing you hear. I also love just the overall cheesiness of the song because again like with Blink, they just have their own classic sound! 

While all of these songs bring different elements to the table, and have different sounds, they all have one thing in common- the Christmas Spirit. Even if you don’t celebrate, and perhaps celebrate another holiday, it can still warm you up inside during the holiday season. With these songs, you are definitely going to have an amazing holiday season! 

Lily de Rooij is a senior this year at Lynn University. She love the connections and memories she has been able to make throughout the years here at HC. Her favorite part about being on the team, is coming up with new social media ideas and posts.