Style > Fashion

Your Fall 2023 Fashion Guide: 10 Wardrobe Staples for Everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Flannel Shacket

Shackets are the best new trend EVER. You could throw it over any basic outfit and it is instantly cuter! Especially one with a flannel design (a classic for fall). The light jacket can keep you a bit warm, but not dripping in sweat, perfect for the crisp weather. You could leave the schaket open to show off a cute ribbed tank top or button it up for a quick outfit for those times you don’t feel like styling an outfit.

Mom Jeans

NEWS FLASH: skinny jeans are out and oversized mom jeans are in! Whether it is light wash or dark wash. Distressed or plain jeans. Just think: the baggier the better! Jeans can dress up any top and are the perfect fall piece. Some places to shop for great jeans are American Eagle, Zara, Good American, Target, but the list goes on.

Ankle Boots

We can’t forget about footwear! Platform or flat. Uggs or leather. The possibilities are endless! With the right pair of shoes you can make your outfit go from casual to dressy!  Plus, a good pair will keep your feet warm.

Basic Tees & Long Sleeved Shirts

Layering pieces are so important in every girl’s closet. A thin white long sleeve shirt so you can put a cute jacket on or throw on an oversized band t-shirt. When shopping this season look for more basic pieces that you can style in various ways rather than a shirt that you might only wear once.  

Classic Black leggings

Who doesn’t love a good pair of leggings? They’re cute and comfy! “The best of both worlds”, as our girl Hannah Montana once said. Some great finds are at Lululemon, Aerie, Forever 21, Old Navy, and Athleta. You can pair them with a fancy sweater or just a sweatshirt. So, go find your favorite pair of leggings for this fall season. 

Oversized Sweatshirts

Who doesn’t love a comfy sweatshirt? College, baseball teams, brand names, or just a plain hoodie. Hoods are perfect for a chilly rainy day, because we always need to protect our hair! These are great to find vintage too for sustainability.

Gold Jewlry

Jewelry in general can add so much to any ordinary outfit. Gold hoops, layering necklaces, or chunky rings are so adorable. No worries if you don’t have the budget for Tiffany or Cartier. There’s no need for expensive jewelry when we have access to Amazon and other affordable stores!

Comfy Sweaters

The key this season is comfort! For example, a nice fluffy brown sweater looks so elevated and requires minimal to no effort. You could pair it with wide leg jeans or just throw on a pair of your favorite leggings and you’re on your way. For those early November days when it’s cold but you’re not ready to bust out your parka, just throw on a sweater. 

Joggers & Sweatpants

Imagine this: cuddling up on the couch with friends drinking apple cider, eating pillsbury cookies, watching Hocus Pocus while wearing a t-shirt and comfy sweatpants. Or wearing joggers to go pumpkin picking with your family. Sweatpants and joggers are versatile and can be worn in several situation. Dress it up or dress it down, the choice is yours.  

Neutral bags

2526455e 982a 473d aff0 104c0d9337f7
Photo Courtesy of Nordstrom

We cannot forget about our pocketbooks. They hold all of our essentials, including but not limited to: wallets, keys, lip gloss, and a pack of gum! Truly a Mary Poppins bag. Wearing a brown, black, or tan bag is so perfect for a night out in autumn. A bag completes your outfit, the missing piece to the puzzle.  

With these pieces, you’ll be able to mix and match and create that perfect fall fit!

Talia Navarro is a freshman at Loyola University of Maryland. She was born and raised in New Jersey. She attended Middletown High School South, the place where she found her interest in studying law. She took Business Ethics, Creative Writing, and Effective Oral Communication electives. At the end of her senior year in high school, she won three different awards for submitting writing entries. The pieces included topics of being a child of a first responder, growing up as a dancer, and her dream of becoming a lawyer. Her journaling fascination was sparked by her Dad at a young age. If she ever had a school paper, she would report straight to him. They would sit in the dining room for hours and work through her corrections and how to improve her skills. Whether it is a simplistic story about rescuing her dog or writing about the causes of World War II, he was able to excel. She still continues to aspire to have her father’s ability and reach his level of composing mastery. In her personal life, she has incorporated journaling into her everyday routine, to reflect on her gratitude and make affirmations to herself. She enjoys helping her friends and classmates edit their school papers. She does not have a professional background just yet, however, she hopes to build it soon! She loves to read books in her free time. Her favorite genres are fiction and romance, but recently she has found interest in thrillers. She enjoys exercising and staying active, whether that includes going for a walk outdoors or going to an instructed class. A guilty pleasure of Talia's is shopping. If you ever offer a shopping trip, just know her answer is yes! She also has a passion for hair and makeup. She is always watching tutorials and testing various makeup techniques. She loves to try out new hairstyles and find the best hair care products on the market.