This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

If you had told me last year that I could run four miles, I wouldn’t have believed you. I’ve never been athletic. I did track on and off for years with limited success as a distance runner. I liked running itself and bonding with teammates, but the physical pain and pressure I put on myself prevented me from enjoying it. After going through a different setback, I decided to de-stress and try running again. Before lacing up my sneakers one Saturday morning in June, I made two rules:  

1. Stay committed.  
  1. Make running a hobby, not a chore.  

Developing a routine has been important for me to stick with running. Since I prefer morning runs, I set my alarm and lay out my clothes the night before. I can admit that sometimes I did not feel like running in the heat this summer, but I knew with proper hydration and pacing I could do it. It may sound funny but spending money on running accessories is another way I’ve committed. I did not buy a whole wardrobe, but it made me excited to save up for new sneakers and pick out leggings. In the past, I only ran because I felt like I had to. This time I’ve taken steps to change my attitude and consider running a hobby. As soon as I start playing my  “Workout” Playlist, I’m ready to go because music motivates me.

I like getting tips from more experienced runners too. I was touched when my aunt who runs in her free time and shared an Instagram account called @runnerearth with me. The account posts inspirational quotes about running that are relatable for even beginners like me.  

I am certainly a work in progress with my running form, speed, etc. but I’ve surprised myself in various ways. For instance, my sleep schedule at school has improved. Since I want to have enough energy to run in the morning, I go to bed earlier than I have in previous semesters. Because of my schoolwork and other commitments, I do not run as often as I did in the summer. Most weeks I can fit two or three runs into my schedule. Whenever I come back from my run, I’m in a good mood to start the rest of my day. I’ve loved finding my route in the beautiful Homeland neighborhood in Baltimore. It makes me happy to witness the change of seasons and see other people exercising outside too.  

One of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby has been achieving my goals and challenging myself. For example, I always work toward improving my time. I am not currently training for anything, but it helps strengthen my endurance. Currently, I only run a few miles each time and love the feeling of breaking a personal record. Whenever I doubt my performance or want to compare myself to others, I remind myself of how far I’ve come.  

Even if running isn’t your thing, I hope my experience encourages you to pick up an activity you gave up on. No matter what, don’t let the fear of not being good enough hold you back. I may have put a pause on running before, but I’m grateful to have found my way back. I look forward to the future lessons I’ll learn from running throughout my life.  

Samantha is a senior and writer for Her Campus at Loyola University Maryland. She's a Communications major specializing in Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. During her free time, Samantha loves discovering new music, fashion trends, food, running, and binge-watching Netflix.