Visiting “The Sweetest Place on Earth”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

As college students, we are always looking for a way to have enjoyable experiences while staying on a budget. For Loyola students in particular, this can look like going to sightsee at the Inner Harbor, catching a game at Camden Yards, or visiting the National Aquarium. 

However, if you’re a college student in the area who’s willing to go a little farther off campus for a day of fun, a Hersheypark trip could be on the horizon!   

Hersheypark is located in Hershey, Pennsylvania, only an hour and a half away from Baltimore, making it very doable to visit for the day via car.  

This weekend I visited and had an amazing time. If amusement parks and going on rides are something you enjoy, Hersheypark is the place to be! The park features 76 rollercoasters, plus water attractions as well. The rides vary, with some being more aggressive than others. On the app, there are descriptions of each ride so visitors know what to expect.  

If rides are not your cup of tea, there are plenty of other things to see and do there as well. They have a zoo, which has more than 200 animals from five distinct areas of North America. Access to the zoo is included in the general admission ticket as well!  

Furthermore, for the shopaholics, there are plenty of different stores to browse in, all of which are scattered all throughout the park. These include gift and souvenir shops, as well as specialized boutiques.  

For all those with sweet tooth’s, you can visit Hershey’s Chocolate World, a store with collectables and many kinds of candy for sale. You can also create your own candy bar at an additional price.  

Finally, for the plant and nature lovers, there are botanical gardens, called Hershey Gardens. Hershey Gardens is a 23-acre botanical garden and arboretum, located on a hill that overlooks Hersheypark.  

I can assure you that Hersheypark has something for everyone, and it is a great place to go if you are interested in getting off campus for the weekend!

To learn more, visit: https://www.hersheypark.com/.  

Jenna Mattern is a Communications (Journalism) student at Loyola University Maryland. In addition to being apart of Her Campus, she is also an RA, plays club softball, and is apart of the Honor Council. She has had experience writing for other organizations in high school, and is look forward to continuing her work through Her Campus. In her free time she loves to cook, hang out with friends, shop, and go to the beach!