Three Baltimore Bookstores to Visit this Fall 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Picture this: it’s a beautiful fall day. The sun is shining, the air is crisp and chilly, and the trees are a beautiful combination of orange, yellow and red. You have your favorite fall drink next to you. Maybe it’s a classic Pumpkin Spice Latte. Or a steaming cup of apple cider. You’re either outside enjoying the sunshine or curled up under your favorite blanket. No matter what, fall is the perfect time to curl up with a new book and just relax. This time of year can be really busy with midterms and assignments, so it’s important to maximize your free time experience.  

Sure, you could just buy a book on Amazon. Or, if you want a more affordable option, link your public library card with your Libby account to access thousands of e-books and audiobooks. But if you can spare the time and money to shop locally, these bookstores should be on your radar.

Bird in Hand Café & Bookstore 

This café/bookstore is in Charles Village, right by Johns Hopkins University. It’s about 10 minutes away from Loyola by car, and even though the walk is far, you get a great look at the beautiful houses and historic neighborhoods. The book selection is a little more obscure than what you might find at your local Barnes and Nobles and they like to spotlight local authors. The cafe is also super cute. I’ve never tried the food, but everything looks delicious, and they also sell locally made kombucha. The vibe is great, the selection is good, and the employees have good recommendations.  

Address: 11 E 33rd St, Baltimore, MD 21218

The Ivy Bookshop 

Located right up Falls Road, this is the sibling shop of Bird in Hand! The book selection here is wide and extensive with plenty of options to choose from. Bright and cozy, it’s perfect for all ages and readers of all genres. Be sure to check out their website for upcoming author events and readings.

Address: 5928 Falls Rd, Baltimore, MD 21209

Charm City Books 

Just a few blocks away from Camden Yards lies my personal favorite bookshop in Baltimore! You can find the newest books everyone on BookTok is talking about, the New York Times best sellers, and the classics! If you’re lucky, you’ll get a glimpse of the owners’ dogs roaming around the store or catching some sunlight. The staff is incredibly friendly, and they can also ship books directly to your house! I highly recommend their merch as well, which perfectly captures the fall aesthetic.  

Address:  782 Washington Blvd, Baltimore, MD 21230

These are just three of the bookstores in Baltimore. We are lucky to live in a great literary city so get out there and explore! Happy reading and happy fall, everyone!  

Rory is a senior Writing major/Journalism minor at Loyola University Maryland from Glenside, PA. In her spare time, Rory enjoys reading, watching sports, and spending time with her family and friends.