The Rising Artist Who Belongs On Your Summer Playlist 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

One of my favorite pre-summer activities, (right up there with sundress shopping) is creating my summer playlist. My summer playlist is with me on all the drives to the beach over the months, playing from my mornings to my workouts to my late nights. The themes and occasions of the music blend together in the playlist; I include songs for summer love, songs for the beach, songs for bonfires and s’mores, but one of my favorite vibes of the annual summer playlist is those songs for summer nights—sunsets fading into dark, when the stars and fireflies make their appearance. And for the songs that fit that feeling, of quiet beauty and warmth, look no further than Grace Torna. 

Grace is a rising pop artist with three independent songs released to date, as well as multiple collaborations and an upcoming EP on May 2nd. Her voice is unique because it’s classic—her trademark high notes and silky tone give shape to her lyrics—giving it a golden quality no matter what she’s singing. Whether it’s about romantic connection, a frustrating situation-ship, or anxiety, Torna’s warm and angelic voice is both feminine and strong. 

Her debut song “Paradise” is one of my favorites of all time when it comes to lyrical imagery. With lyrics like “lemon dripping honey lips / innocent as our first kiss” and “losing days to sleepless nights / painting stars from city lights,” Torna uses gorgeous, sensual words to describe feelings as delicate and as beautiful as first kisses and late nights that fade into early mornings. The song is colored like a sunset, with all sorts of imagery (the feel of a pink chiffon dress, the taste of pink moscato, and “mango lime, grape-flavored clementine”). It’s the perfect summer song, a sweet and sexy tribute to summer love that feels, appropriately, like a paradise. 

Although “Paradise” is gorgeous, Grace Torna is versatile: her second single, “Timepass” is a glamorous 180. It’s a self-love anthem rejecting a figure in her life that is relatable to every woman- the one who picks you up when convenient and then shuts you down when it’s not. Her lyrics are inspiring without being too much. My favorite is “You settle for silver / cause you couldn’t handle gold.” The beat is perfect for a hot girl walk, and the lyrics are reflective yet fun. But once again, it’s her incredible voice that soars over notes so high they’re uncommon in songs like these. It’s what sets “Timepass” apart from similar songs. 

Grace Torna’s most recent single exponentially increased my excitement for her upcoming EP.  “Breathless” keeps her signature talent consistent through the song, but the lyrics are what make the song her strongest work yet. The lyrics of “Breathless” are poetry in every way. It’s her most vulnerable and honest work in her discography thus far.

“The world will heal / someone’s preaching” “How can I sit and create under the weight of my mistakes” “If I’m the one who can breathe, I’ll fight until I’m breathless.

The song is tear jerking. It’s personal, but it’s also universal—it is a reminder of sadness in the world. The “storm that we are facing,” our collective mistakes, and a resolution that “I know I’ve never been perfect /I promise to do my best / To stand up for what is right / To help clean up the mess.”  

Torna’s music feels like sunlight on skin, the serenity of being underwater, the high of a summer night outside on the patio. Her inherent vocal talent is blended with gorgeous lyrics, creating music that excels in every category. She’s the perfect artist for playlists of any season, but her upcoming EP promises a successful summer for Grace Torna. 

You can find Grace @gracetornaa on Instagram, and streaming everywhere. 

Molly is a first-year at Loyola pursing a double major in English and Political Science. You can usually find her on her laptop at Starbucks, taking a spin class with GroupX, or on the Humanities porch with a book. Molly finds her joy in her gel pens, Taylor Swift playlists, strawberry acai lemonades, romcoms, and her golden doodle.