The Best Books of 2023 to Add to Your 2024 TBR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

As someone whose main hobby is reading, I often pride myself on my reading recommendations. I read 153 books in 2023, and here are the best books published last year that you should read this year (in no particular order)!

1. Adelaide by Genevieve Wheeler

Adelaide is in her mid-twenties, living in London and just trying to survive. But when she meets Rory Hughes, she sees something in him, causing her to fall in love with him. She feels that this love could be one-sided but knows deep down he loves her too. Yet when tragedy strikes Rory, Adelaide throws herself into keeping him together, even if she’s falling apart in the process. Adelaide is a stellar-debut novel about toxic love and living in your twenties. The book is raw and emotional making you feel as if you personally know Adelaide. This book is perfect for all women in their twenties or struggling with love. (CW: suicide, miscarriage, emotional abuse)

2. Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros

Violet Sorrengail is preparing to enter Basgiath War College. The same college where her sister goes, where her mother leads and where he brother died serving. Violet has a strong reputation before even entering Basgiath as her mother led the charge in subduing the rebellion and killing Fen Riorson…and now his son, Xaden Riorson has Violet at the top of his kill list. Maybe Xaden has more feelings for Violet besides wanting her dead. Follow Violet in her adventures of training, making friends, finding her dragon and coming of age. This book is perfect for all romance girlies wanting to expand their genres in 2024, high fantasy girlies and those who love escapism in their books. (CW: death)

3. The Woman in Me by Britney Spears

Britney Spears finally released her long-awaited memoir in 2023 and it was everything people had been wanting. Spears shares her raw and real experience growing up and in the music industry. You feel like a friend on her couch listening to her bare her soul to you as you discover everything she has survived. Spears goes all the way back to her childhood describing her life growing up to her life under the conservatorship with her father. Anyone who has supported Spears over the last few decades or has some familiarity should read this book, especially those who enjoy a celebrity memoir. (CW: emotional abuse, abortion)

4. Yours Truly by Abby Jimenez

Bri is feeling life her life is spiraling out of control with her divorce being recently finalized and her brother is running out of time to find a kidney donor. On top of that, there’s a new guy at work, Jacob, who is driving her up the wall. But he only means well, so Jacob writes Bri a letter apologizing for the recent run-ins and all of the miscommunications. Jacob and Bri slowly become closer and closer, and when he learns that her brother needs a kidney, and he has been thinking about kidney donation to “pay it forward” after his mother’s kidney transplant, it feels like kismet. This book is perfect for the romance girlies, those who enjoy soft and emotional guys, and anyone who wants a heartfelt story. (CW: infidelity, panic attacks)

5. The In-Between: Unforgettable Encounters During Life’s Final Moments by Hadley Vlahos

You might know Hadley from TikTok, but in her everyday life, she works as a hospice nurse. This memoir is a beautiful mosaic of Vlahos’ life combined with stories from her favorite patients. These stories are touching and encapsulate lessons that everyone should hear from not caring about what others think to spend more time with the people you love. It’s impossible to walk away from this book not feeling gutted by one of these patients. Vlahos’ writing is beautiful telling the stories that you need to hear; it’s especially wonderful as an audiobook. This book is perfect for those who love memoirs about regular people and want a touching collection of stories.

Happy reading!

Elizabeth Gilmore is a senior at Loyola University of Maryland. She is from Mount Airy, Maryland. She is a Political Science Major and History Minor. In her free time she enjoys reading, listening to music, and watching TV.