Style

The ’90s are the Comeback Kid this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Throughout the year in fashion, we have seen the 1990s make a significant comeback. Being the comeback kid, they are staying throughout the winter. 

The major trends that we will see in stores this season are bold colors, with different shades of red being a standout. Light wash jeans will be replaced by dark denim. This winter, there will be more business casual styles rather than sweats, but fear not, comfy clothes will always have a place in our hearts. 

Now you may be asking “how does the 90s play into this?” Two words: baggy and pleats. This winter, the overlap/comeback from the 90s will be as follows (and maybe some more): 

Power Dressing 

Blazers are coming back to be seen with more business casual attire. 

Baggy Pants 

While baggy jeans have been back in trend for a while, we will see the denim start to become darker for the winter as light wash stays with the summer trends. 

Groutfits (a.k.a gray monotones) 

Now, I know this is very recent, that we all deemed groutfits out, but they are coming back in. And if Jennifer Aniston can rock a cute groutfit in the ’90s, so can you. 

Statement Pieces 

This is not the Charming Charlie’s chunky necklace of the Y2K. This is the bright-colored puffers and patterns of the 90s. 

The moral of this fashion trends story is to be yourself. The ’90s were all about freedom of expression, wear what makes you happy and feel amazing. If that’s comfy winter clothes as you try to escape the cold, go for it! But on the occasions that you need some new touches to an outfit, keep these trends in mind. 

Sydney is a sophomore at LUM and is majoring in Data Science with a minor in Mathematics. She is from Denver, Colorado. During her free time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, exploring and having new adventures, and being active. Some of her favorite activities are dancing with the LUM Dance Company, scuba diving, hiking, skiing, and running. She loves trying new restaurants, eating good food, going to concerts and museums.