This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

A (Musical) Love Letter to Spring: The Season of Promise 

It took 19 years of ambiguity to realize which of the four seasons is my favorite—I only settled on spring during my senior year of high school. It wasn’t until I was driving to work on one particularly beautiful day that I found myself at my happiest. From that day forward, if the sun was out and the weather was barely pushing fifty degrees, nothing could stop me from rolling down the windows of my car and blasting the most summer-y songs I could think of.  

I spend every March through May waiting for the next (barely) warm day that validates my return to the same few songs I repeat every spring. They’re reminiscent of the joy I feel in that first beautiful week after winter, a week that suspends reality and tells me that every day for the rest of time will be equally as beautiful (although, if every day were equally as beautiful, I’m not sure if I would love them as much).

You can find my (current) favorite spring songs on Spotify

“Cut To The Feeling” – Carly Rae Jepsen 

“Pierre” – Ryn Weaver 

“Absinthe” – I DON’T KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME 

“Perfect Places” – Lorde  

“Froot” – MARINA 

“Pocketful of Sunshine” – Natasha Bedingfeild  

“How You Get The Girl” – Taylor Swift 

“Grace Kelly” – MIKA 

“We Come Running” – Youngblood Hawke 

“Sun” – Two Door Cinema Club 

“Daylight” – Matt and Kim 

“Not Your Way” – MisterWives 

“Love You For A Long Time” – Maggie Rogers 

“Wild Heart”– Bleachers  

“Social Cues” – Cage the Elephant  

If I had to choose just one reason why I love spring, it would be because of mother nature’s promise that yes, the sun will warm the wind again—even if we have to spend some odd days of rain (or even snow) waiting for it to happen.  

You can also find my much longer (and much more disorganized) spring playlist here.

Erin Hurley is a sophomore at Loyola University Maryland. She is a Writing major with a double minor in Communications (Journalism) and Environmental and Sustainability Studies. In her free time, she can be found binging some form of media, whether it be a book, TV show, or an artist's entire discography.
Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.