This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

BY ANABEL MARTIN

I have a very strong relationship with music, because I think of it as an incredible channel to express our emotions. So, having a feminist playlist have being a must for me, it makes me feel empowered and it makes me feel supported by other people who have gone through similar experiences as me. 

Here are some of the songs… 

Stronger Than Me by Amy Winehouse

This song is by one of my favourite artists, Amy Winehouse. It is a very jazz song and the sound of the beat accompanies the lyrics perfectly. Amy criticizes her relationship with this older man on the song, which is still more immature than her.  She definitely feels like the one who has the higher power in the relationship. This song is from Amy’s album “Frank” and I highly recommend listening to it, if you like jazz.  

Juice by Lizzo

This song is by Lizzo and is from the album “Cuz I love You”. Lizzo’s songs are a must for anybody who wants to feel empowered and who wants to embrace themselves just as they are. Every single song of the album it’s super  empowering! Juice grows on you, it is a very catchy song, and it has kind of like a 70s vibe, which makes it so much better. Just listening to the intro makes you feel better: “Mirror, mirror on the wall don’t say it cause I know I’m cute”.   

Hey Girl by Lady Gaga and Florence Welch

This is one of my favourite songs from the “Joanne” album by Lady Gaga. The song is by Lady Gaga & Florence Welch. The genre is alternative with a little bit of folk mixed into it. I love how the song encompasses the message of women helping and supporting each other, even if they have never met. I think it is very beautiful the way these artists put the theme of women in the whole world taking care of each other in a song. 

No body, no crime By Taylor Swift

Once again, a song about women who support each other. Taylor Swift tells a story through a song about a woman who wants to avenge the death of her best friend, since she believes her best friend’s husband and her lover were the one who killed her. I think this song is very powerful, although it is a little dark. It reminds me of the movie “Promising Young Women” because it is the feeling you get  when you think of protecting your girlfriends.  

WYD by Remi Wolf

This song is by Remi Wolf, and she is one of the new artists I have been listening to recently. I just love her vibe, and the way she expresses women’s realities  in her songs it’s just amazing! There’s a particular verse from this song that I really love: “I don’t need your validation/’Cause I got me and medication”. She is a very cool artist, I would definitely give her a try if you have never listened to one of her albums before.  

Respect by Aretha Franklin

This is a classic for any feminist playlist that has been ever made. A song by one of the most amazing artists to ever walk on Earth, the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin. The repetition of a simple word such as “respect” throughout the chorus of the song makes the message even more powerful! Her vocals, the music, and the lyrics all encompassed what women have been asking from this society, “just a little bit of respect”. 

So what are you waiting for? Put on some music and be the amazing woman you are!