Scrolling to Turning Pages: How BookTok Got Me Into Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

If someone were to tell me when I downloaded TikTok in 2018 that I would find my love for reading again, I probably would ask them to repeat themselves. A few times. 

 When I first downloaded Tiktok, my For You page was saturated in cheesy 15-second dances, makeup transitions, and Vine-like humor when I was a junior in high school. Today, the TikTok algorithm has put a microscope on my interests making it irresistible to not spend every second scrolling away. Instead of watching dances and funny videos, now I only ever see easy recipes, fashion inspiration, Harry Styles (of course), and reading recommendations.  

I’m not 100% sure how I landed myself submerged in BookTok, but I am forever grateful that I did, and I owe it all to TikTok and its creators. I’ve been a big reader since I was little, but over the past three years I hardly ever read for pleasure. Over the summer, my FYP was flooded with book suggestions, and I took it as a sign to buy some books. Some turned into a lot, and I caved to the point where I spent a whole day’s worth of pay on books that I would read in one sitting. Books were slowly turning into an extension of my hand. 

The first book to take me out of my slump was  Red, White, and Royal Blue  by Casey McQuiston which is an enemy to friendship to lovers. The romance story follows the relationship of the First Son and the Prince of Wales which brings a lot of drama into both powerful families. It’s 448 pages of bubbly love, quick-wit, and thrilling adventures that transported me to the inside of the White House and within the walls of the palace. Yes, this is a cliché, but this book taught me to fight for love even when it seems impossible.  

If you’ve ever seen one book featured on BookTok chances are it was  It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover who is absolutely dominating the charts from TikTok users. This book had mixed reviews with no stage of limbo between the lover and haters. As one would expect, I was on the fence about starting it but nonetheless, I wanted to see what the hype was (or wasn’t) about. This book hurt to read, and I had to take a few days to detox before jumping to my next book. Hoover is a genius who knows how to toy with your heart. I would 100% recommend this book to anyone, but I would advise one to research the trigger warnings as sensitive topics are discussed.  

Sarah in front of books
Photo by Johann Hygen

Midnight Library is quietly talked about on TikTok but is one that changed my perspective on life. It follows Nora as she enters an in-between place of existence and death and allows her to experience different variations of what her life could have been via the Midnight Library. If you enjoy reflecting on the philosophical meaning of life, I cannot imagine not loving this book. 

People we Meet on Vacation  is such a fun and thrilling read! I read it in one sitting at the side of the pool in Maine. The book is another friendship to lovers and follows two friends who are complete opposites. Emily Henry doesn’t shy away from showing real friendship/relationship struggles making this book easy to relate to both characters.  

The Song of Achilles Is one that’s featured in every single video. I only bought this since the store didn’t have the book I wanted, and I knew it had raving reviews. Madeline Miller writes a romantic retelling of Homer’s Iliad and uses some of the most beautiful language I have ever read. Although I enjoyed this book dearly, it did take me a while to get into it due to the strong war theme and was harder for me to read a lot at once. Regardless, Miller did an excellent job at retelling the story of Achilles and Patroclus. I will advise you that the ending is some of the most gut-wrenching content that will have you reaching for a tissue. And to be honest, I’m still not the same after reading this.  

So, I guess this is a thank you to TikTok for getting the algorithm right and letting me explore different realms through books and giving me something else to do with my free time. And yes, I now have a Goodreads. 

Gabriella is a junior at FCRH majoring in journalism with a minor in fashion studies. When not writing for Her Campus, she keeps busy with the Fordham Ram, MODE Magazine, Fordham Dance Marathon, and the Rose Hill Society.