Saying Yes to Everything: How I’m Making the Most of my Senior Year 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

“Senior year: say yes to everything.” Those six words have been my personal motto since the day I moved into Loyola for the last time on September 3, 2022.  

Time is strange. It feels like I just started my journey here, but simultaneously, my partly pre-pandemic freshman year also feels like a different lifetime. After missing out on being on campus for three months of my freshman year spring and whole sophomore fall, and my sophomore spring being hindered by COVID, I knew I needed to take full advantage of the time I had left here on campus.  

Junior year was almost completely normal, with the indoor mask mandates getting lifted in March. It felt like a strange transition period though, it was almost as if I was a freshman again. We missed out on so much time and experiences because of the pandemic, I felt like I barely knew how to be a college student.  

I spent the majority of that year finding my footing again, making new friends and building deeper connections with old ones, joining new clubs and exploring Baltimore further. It felt like what my freshman year should have been.   

So when it came to senior year, for the first time I felt completely confident in my friendships, my routines, and my extra-curriculars. Junior year was fun, but I knew I had to make this one even better. Here’s how I’ve been doing that.  

1. Being Social in Class 

I’m usually a shy person around people I don’t know. I’ve never been one to go out of my way to start conversations, but this year I decided to change that. I’m currently taking a mix of electives and courses that contribute to my major, so I have classes full of my friends and others where I don’t know anyone. I’ve decided to switch it up and make an effort to get to know the people I sit near in class, and so far I’ve had no bad experiences. In my electives, especially where I was once unfamiliar with everyone, I now have connections with everyone else who sits at my table because I start conversations before and after class. It’s made it a lot more bearable to know that I have people on my side, and who I can say hi to outside of the classroom as well.  

1. Roommate Adventures 

This is the second year I’ve lived with my roommates, and by this point all of us know each other extremely well and are great friends. The last time we lived together was our sophomore spring, which was difficult due to city and schoolwide COVID restrictions. We didn’t really get to do too much during that time since we were putting our health first. This year we’ve done a completely 180—deciding to plan nights to all go out to dinner, doing cute fall activities like corn mazes, keeping our group chat active constantly and even just studying together in the student center. It’s all made our little family unit even closer and I wouldn’t trade the memories for anything.  

1. Joining New Extra-Curriculars and Stepping Up in Old Ones 

I’m part of a few groups outside of the academic world here at Loyola. I’ve been in Concert Choir every semester, and it’s been one of the highlights of my time here. As one of four seniors in that group currently, I’ve found myself stepping up into a leadership role to help new members along as they find their footing. It’s been really rewarding to share my knowledge with them and help them out when they need it. I’ve also decided to push myself to join new things. This year I am working as the yearbook’s Marketing and Design Editor, where I’ve been able to put my stamp on my graduating class’s yearbook with all of the skills I’ve gained through graphic design classes and internships. That’s been such a fun process for me, and I’m grateful I was given the opportunity to have a hand in something so special.  

1. Saying Yes to Everything 

Circling back to my current life motto, I have simply been saying yes to every opportunity that comes my way, big or small. From being invited over to a friend’s apartment for a movie night to doing an independent study with a professor, I’m trying to take advantage of everything. I want to experience everything this school has to offer me with the time I have left, since I missed so much time in years past. I’ve been trying to not let lack of sleep or fear of the unknown stop me from participating in things.

So far it’s been one of the best school years of my life because of this way I’ve been carrying myself. I’m excited to see what the next seven months have in store! 

Maria D'Agostino is a graduate of Loyola University Maryland with a Bachelor of Arts in Communications and a double specialization in Journalism and Digital Media. She served as the Editor in Chief of Loyola's Chapter in 2023.