Reflection on Study Abroad Cancellations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Like many college students, I couldn’t wait to study abroad in my junior year.

I love the idea of immersing myself in another culture, traveling the world, and taking classes with international students. In fact, Loyola’s wide range of programs was one reason why I was drawn to the school. I was so determined to have this experience that I discussed it with my academic advisor in our first meeting. What can I say? I like to think ahead.  

During the fall of my sophomore year, I decided to go to Copenhagen, Denmark in the spring semester of my junior year. I also considered Newcastle, England, or Cork, Ireland. Having heard that Copenhagen is one of the happiest cities in the world, I was eager to travel there! In my research, I was interested in Danish history, Copenhagen’s waterfront views, and the cosmopolitan lifestyle. After I received a brochure about DIS Copenhagen, the university, I knew my decision was sealed. I recommend meeting with program directors to hear about your options. At Loyola, all students must attend an information session and then complete an application by early December. I still remember sitting in the Humanities building in January when I got the email with my acceptance notification for the DIS Copenhagen. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement. I immediately texted my family and friends who too wanted to study abroad!  

Soon enough the pandemic hit, and the entire world was in lockdown.

Throughout those first few months, I checked my email and the universities’ websites for any updates. As travel restrictions continued and case numbers rose, I began to realize study abroad may not happen. However, Denmark seemed to have a better outlook than many other countries. Even though I was naïve, I was hopeful that I could go in January 2021. In September, I even registered for my classes. We also had a group meeting with a DIS Copenhagen representative where he explained COVID-19 policies. For example, students were only allowed to travel within the country. Despite the circumstances, I still planned to keep my spot in the program.  

In mid-October, Loyola decided to cancel all study abroad programs for Spring 2021.

Since Fall 2020 programs were canceled in the summer, I wasn’t completely surprised. I believe that the university made the responsible choice to protect the health and safety of the student community. I admit I was initially upset I couldn’t study abroad. I kept thinking I’ll never have the chance to live in another country for months, see famous landmarks I’ve dreamed about visiting, or make friendships that cross borders. In the days following, I told myself to put matters into perspective. Considering this experience was my major disappointment of the pandemic, I’m counting myself lucky. 

What I’m most grateful for is the extra time I’ve been able to have with my roommates. If I’d studied abroad, we wouldn’t have lived together until senior year. I have enjoyed bonding with them whether we’re hanging out in our apartment or trying a restaurant off-campus. Some of my favorite memories are the late nights we’ve had reminiscing and sharing stories. I think I’ve laughed so hard that I had tears coming out of my eyes. Meanwhile, I like being on campus again seeing the friendly faces, and safely exploring Baltimore when I can.  

Of course, a part of me wishes I was living in Copenhagen, taking classes, and traveling with new friends.

I’m sure I’m not the only college junior who feels this way. Throughout the semester, I’m reminding myself to have a little faith and learn to adapt. Who knows, maybe I’ll travel after graduation and explore Europe then. If the opportunity presented itself, I would even consider taking a job overseas! Certainly, the last year has been far from what anyone has envisioned. We’ve all learned to embrace challenges that come from plans falling through, which is something to be proud of. I’m blessed to be back at my home away from home and look forward to what comes next this semester! 

Samantha is a senior and writer for Her Campus at Loyola University Maryland. She's a Communications major specializing in Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. During her free time, Samantha loves discovering new music, fashion trends, food, running, and binge-watching Netflix.
Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.