Wellness

On Sundays We Structure, Skincare, and Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Brunch, fresh flowers, restful, soft sunlight filling the room are the words of Sundays. The reality is it may feel more anxiety-inducing or dreadful than intended. For me, Sundays can feel overwhelming rather than resetting for the next week. When I don’t prepare for the upcoming week, there may not always be an end to the week before. With too many things to do, it causes the week to feel overwhelming. Therefore, Sundays have become a massive reset button to put an official end to my week. I reset my energy and allow myself to feel successful by accomplishing tasks in preparation for the week ahead. Here is how I do it; the three S’s. Structure, Skincare, and Sleep.  

Sometimes structure can be intense and overwhelming. To me, structure on Sundays allows me to settle the chaos through a framework of tasks I want to get done. A day of accomplishment, whether it is small or big. On Sundays I do tasks that I know that I will complete. For example, I clean up my room and vacuum the apartment. I re-write my notes or write new notes for the upcoming week. These tasks are not tedious but allows me to gain a sense of what I can expect of the week ahead while I am tidying up what is left of the previous week. These tasks calm my nerves and my racing thoughts by removing them from the “during the week” to-do list. If chores and academic tasks do not appeal to you on Sundays, that is okay. The tasks that create structure can be fun too. From watching your favorite show to enjoying a hobby. The key to structure is taking care of your needs before the week starts. Do what will make you feel best and refreshed before Monday becomes a reality.  

I love skincare because having a glowing face is a part of my confidence. During quarantine, I became obsessed with skincare. I did a ton of research on what products are the best for my skin. That being said I do not like a long multi-step skincare routine. Therefore, I built the easiest skincare routine I could. Even with five simple steps, it is not an easy feat to wash and take care of my face throughout the week at night. Exhaustion settles in after a long day of school and studies. Truthfully, all I want to do is go to bed. On Sundays, it is the one night that I make skincare a priority. I make sure that I complete my skincare routine plus a facemask as a reset for my daily routine in order to feel refreshed for the week ahead.   

Sleep. I am not even going to lie; it is a luxury if I get seven hours of sleep once a week. The workload in college is a full-time job and, even with time management, I can be up late studying for an exam or quiz. I could be working on a project doing a little extra because I want to do well. It doesn’t matter the reason why there is lack of sleep. What matters is that I utilize Sunday as my day to go to bed as early as I can. Tying back into structure, feeling well-rested as I start the next week allows me to be more productive and successful. There are studies that show why sleep is super important, but it is all about finding a balance to understand where your priorities lie. Some nights it might be easier than others to go to bed early and that is okay. For me to beat the Sunday Scaries, I know that my mind, body, and soul has to be well-rested. If I am not well-rested, the week feels too loud on Mondays.  

The Sunday Scaries may not always be able to go away after taking care of yourself, but at least you give yourself a little love. College is crazy and the weeks are not consistent. They are often a wild and fun rollercoaster, but remember it is okay to take time for yourself, however you need it. Protect your precious energy and allow yourself a day of three S’s. Structure, Skincare, and Sleep to beat the Sunday Scaries.  

Sydney is a sophomore at LUM and is majoring in Data Science with a minor in Mathematics. She is from Denver, Colorado. During her free time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, exploring and having new adventures, and being active. Some of her favorite activities are dancing with the LUM Dance Company, scuba diving, hiking, skiing, and running. She loves trying new restaurants, eating good food, going to concerts and museums.