My Unofficial Ranking of Taylor Swift’s “Midnights”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock since last Friday, you’ve definitely heard at least one song from Taylor Swift’s tenth studio album, Midnights. The 32-year-old singer/songwriter announced her album while accepting the award for Video of the Year at MTV’s Video Music Awards for her short film of All Too Well (10-Minute-Version). The midnight release caused streaming service Spotify to crash and broke the record for the biggest first day album debut in Spotify history with 186 million listeners.  

Since this album is pretty much the only music I’ve listened to since it came out, I’ve formed some opinions on it. As a big fan of the album, I had to rank it and share my opinions with others. Before I get into it, I wanted to mention that I will not be ranking the 3 a.m. tracks, though Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve is one of the best songs Swift has ever released. I also wanted to mention again that this is my opinion and therefore this cannot be “incorrect.” I also say “unofficial” because there are some songs near the middle that shift depending on how recently I listened to it and my mood at the time. Without further ado, here is my ranking. 

13. Midnight Rain 

I wasn’t a fan of the voice modulation and production throughout the choruses. It sounded cool when I first heard it but hearing it throughout the song got old fast. There has to be a song in last place, and this is it for me. 

12. Question…? 

Given conversations I’ve had with people and rankings I’ve seen on social media, this might be a controversial placement. However, there were songs that I simply liked better and were more memorable than this one.  

11. Labyrinth 

I’m a fan of Swift’s slower songs in general (folklore and evermore are masterpieces, in my opinion) but the slow tempo, combined with the high pitch of her voice, didn’t do it for me this time. 

10. Vigilante Shit 

Admittedly, I’m not a huge fan of Reputation, Swift’s sixth studio album based on her relationship with Joe Alwyn and her feud with Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, and this song definitely has Reputation vibes. Aside from that, the lyrics feel childish compared to some of the rest of these songs. 

9. Sweet Nothing 

I don’t have much to say about this one. It’s good, not great, but not overly memorable. The most interesting thing about it is that it has the same name as a popular Calvin Harris song, who Swift dated for 15 months. Otherwise, it’s just meh

8. Bejeweled 

My mood towards this song varies a lot. It’s catchy, but it tends to grate on my nerves. Half of the lyrics feel like they come out of a poetry book; the other half comes from a nursery rhyme.  

7. Snow on the Beach (featuring Lana Del Rey) 

Though I would have liked to hear more of Lana Del Rey than just backing vocals, I loved the dream-like quality of this track. It definitely grew on me the more I listened to it.  

6. Lavender Haze 

The opening track often sets the tone for an album, and I think Lavender Haze did that perfectly. The sampling of Phil Collins’ iconic drum beat leads to an addictive chorus guaranteed to stick in your head for hours.  

5. Karma 

Swift has been hinting at something karma-themed through lyrics and easter eggs for years. The outcome is this catchy, strut-worthy song that doesn’t take itself too seriously. 

4. Anti-Hero 

One of the main songs on the album, with the music video being released at 8 a.m. Friday, I’ve become quite fond of this. “It’s me, hi, I’m the problem” has been stuck in my head and all over my Twitter feed. 

3. You’re on Your Own, Kid 

This one really hit home. I’m a huge fan of Taylor’s fifth track across her albums, the song typically viewed as a strong emotional gut-punch. And this one definitely delivered on that end.  

2. Mastermind 

I am obsessed with the synth-wave beat on the last track of the album. Though this was not the sound I was expecting when Swift announced the title, I liked it much more than I thought I would. 

1. Maroon 

This chorus has been stuck in my head since I heard it at approximately 12:08 on Friday morning. I’m not sure what I can say about my favorite track on this album, except for when you know, you just know.  

Rory is a senior Writing major/Journalism minor at Loyola University Maryland from Glenside, PA. In her spare time, Rory enjoys reading, watching sports, and spending time with her family and friends.