My Top 5 Favorite Disney Sidekicks  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

As Halloween has rolled past, we have seen many iconic Disney sidekicks. Which leads to the conversation, who is your favorite Disney Sidekick? Everyone has their own answers, and as someone who has many opinions, I have a take.

Now I am not a Disney Adult, but I do love a good Disney movie. Even as a child the best part of these movies has always been the fun sidekicks that we see. From the mice in Cinderella to the Flounder from The Little Mermaid. These guys have found a place in my heart and the hearts of many other viewers. Not to say that not all sidekicks are equal, but every person has a favorite. I have complied my top five favorite Disney sidekicks and why I, and many people, love them.  

5. Bruni from Frozen 2 

Bruni has found a way into my heart despite the short amount of screen time that the character has in this movie. Bruni is one of the fire spirits, depicted as a small salamander, that meets Elsa in the Enchanted Forest. He is not on the big screen for long; but in the time that he was in the film, he stole the hearts of the fans. Bruni has this “fiery spirit” about him that just makes me want to take him home and make him a little house and keep him warm and cared for. There is no confirmed existence of Frozen 3, but in the coming years I hope to see a larger character line for Bruni (and many fans would agree).  

4. Thumper from Bambi 

Throwing it back to a classic Disney icon, we have Thumper who is the loveable bunny that we see in Bambi. He is just so cute and is so lighthearted and positive. When I was a child, I loved Thumper and would watch the movie for him specifically. When people ask about Disney animal sidekicks, Thumper is one that usually comes to mind. There is just so much to love about Thumper: he’s an embodiment of love and sunshine. He’s just a character that every person knows and loves, to the point that this character has (in my opinion) become more notable than Bambi themself. This does beg the question of if, in fact, a character is a sidekick if they are more well-known than who they are supporting. In the story, Thumper is there for Bambi, and this fame has come out of audience preference.  

3. Hei Hei from Moana 

Moving on to a movie that is more modern. We have Moana, specifically the character Hei Hei, a chicken that lives on the island with Moana who ends up going on the journey with her. This chicken may not be the smartest, being known for pecking at the ground rather than the pile of seeds next to them, but Hei Hei stands out. Since then, there hasn’t really been another sidekick like him, since he doesn’t necessarily add a sense of commentary to the story, but rather gives us moments to laugh along the process of the story.  

2. Meeko from Pocahontas 

Meeko is another classic, the lovable raccoon from a childhood staple. Meeko provides a sense of comfort and nostalgia for me specifically. He’s is just so caring and lovable and funny. There is just something so soft about him; I just want to take them home and love him. When I was a child, I would watch the movie just for him. I know that he is not the most popular of them all, but he does earn a place in my heart, as all the characters in this article do. There is just something that makes Meeko stand out in comparison to some of the past.  

1. Pascal from Tangled 

I know that there are good and bad characters, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but when I tell you that if I could die on this hill, I would. Ever since this movie came out and I laid my eyes on this little chameleon, I knew that he was going to be my ride of die. There really is not another character like him, especially because of his personality and his opinions. I think the funniest thing is when this small guy makes big threats. He makes my heart melt, and there are occasions that I watch this movie just for him, regardless of this being one of my favorite films of all time. If Pascal has a thousand fans, I am one of them. if he has 10 fans, I am one of them. If he has one fan, it is me. If he has no fans, then I am dead.  

Nez is a junior from Weymouth, Ma. They are a Theatre major, and a Gender and Sexuality studies minor. In their free time you will most likely find them in the theatre as well as in the admissions office! Outside of Loyola, Nez is passionate about music, reading and photography.