This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Once you get to know me, it’s clear that I love finding a new television show to obsess over. In middle school, it was “Gossip Girl” whereas I became a fan of “The Office” and “One Tree Hill” in high school. Like everyone else in 2020, I tried to keep myself distracted at home amidst all the uncertainty. Since television has always been a form of stress relief for me, I used some of my free time to binge-watch on Amazon Prime and Netflix. Here are some shows that I loved watching this year:

Content Warning: Some of the following shows include contain storylines which include gun violence, abuse, addiction, and mental illness.

“Chicago P.D.”

Although I don’t usually watch police dramas other than “Law & Order: SVU,” I had heard great reviews of NBC’s “Chicago P.D.” and decided to try it. The show involves the Chicago Police Department’s Intelligence Unit as the detectives solve the city’s most heinous crimes. It’s interesting to see the different ways the various characters handle such intense cases and build relationships with each other. Because of all the action and suspense, I was constantly on the edge of my seat not wanting to miss a detail. Some of the best episodes are crossovers with “Chicago Fire” and “Chicago Med.”

You can watch seasons 1 through 6 for free with Amazon Prime and season 7 on NBC. “Chicago P.D.” returns on Wednesday, November 11 for an eighth season.

“Outer Banks”

Since teen dramas are usually my favorite television genre, I was interested in watching “Outer Banks.” I was also curious about the show because my family and I vacation in the Outer Banks in North Carolina every summer. “Outer Banks” follows a group of teenagers, led by John B. (Chase Stokes), as they uncover a mystery to search for his missing father. The show also includes rivalries and conflicts between the Pogues and Kooks, two opposing groups separated by class on the island. By the end of the first episode, the plot twists will make you want to keep watching to see what happens next.

The cast and crew are currently filming season 2 of “Outer Banks” in Charleston, South Carolina. You can watch season 1 on Netflix.

“Hollywood”

Because of my passion for entertainment and the success of its co-creator, Ryan Murphy, I was looking forward to binge-watching “Hollywood.” Set in the late 1940s, the drama miniseries depicts the complex relationships and aspirations of several actors and executives in Hollywood. While the show received mixed reviews, I thought its storylines provided audiences with new perspectives on the film industry. You may recognize many actors in the show including Jim Parsons, Darren Criss, and Queen Latifah. I enjoyed learning more about the lives of famous actors like Rock Hudson and Vivien Leigh, a few of the real-life figures that the show portrays.

“Hollywood” is available to watch on Netflix.

“Schitt’s Creek”

If you’re looking for an equally hilarious and adorable comedy, “Schitt’s Creek” is for you. The comedy takes place in a fictional small town of “Schitt’s Creek” where the Rose family lands after losing all their money. The actors have instant chemistry which makes funny situations and heartfelt moments feel even more relatable. Just like the Roses, you’ll learn to love the townspeople despite their quirks. Something that makes this comedy so special is that Eugene and Dan Levy, who play Johnny and David, co-created the show. Sarah Levy also appears in the show as Twyla. What I love most about “Schitt’s Creek” is its reminder that good things can come from change, as the characters become independent and find what makes them truly happy.

If you don’t have Netflix to watch the full series, you can still catch marathons of “Schitt’s Creek” on Comedy Central on Friday nights.

“Shameless”

Its many seasons may be time-consuming, but I’m so glad I stumbled onto “Shameless” this summer. Considering all of its explicit content, it’s not a show to watch with your parents. Showtime’s longest-running series is about the dysfunctional Gallagher family and their friends living on Chicago’s Southside. The heart of the dramedy is the relationships between the six siblings as they do whatever it takes to make ends meet and care for one another. Fiona Gallagher (Emmy Rossum) raises her brothers and sisters while their alcoholic and absentee father (William H. Macy) is always scheming. “Shameless” is guaranteed to make you laugh out loud and cry. Even though their risky, and often illegal, choices make you question their morality, you can’t help but love most of the characters and their development. The show also presents realistic storylines of important social issues and topics not always represented on television.

The show’s eleventh and final season premieres Sunday, December 6th on Showtime. You can watch seasons 1 through 10 of “Shameless” on Netflix.

I’m already thinking about what shows I’d like to watch over winter break. I’m hoping to try Emily in Paris next. Lilly Collins stars in the show as a young woman from the Midwest who moves to Paris after being offered a job at a marketing firm in Paris. Given my interest in marketing and dream of visiting Paris, I can’t wait to start watching this Netflix series

Samantha is a senior and writer for Her Campus at Loyola University Maryland. She's a Communications major specializing in Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. During her free time, Samantha loves discovering new music, fashion trends, food, running, and binge-watching Netflix.
Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.