This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

As someone who loves pop culture, watching tv is one of my guilty pleasures. With so many streaming services, it can be hard to narrow down what shows to try! I enjoy getting recommendations from family and friends or my social media feed. Check out a few of my new favorites below:  

1. “Succession”  

Of all the shows I watched this summer, “Succession” is easily my top choice. The HBO drama is about the fictional Roy family who own Waystar Royco, a media conglomerate headquartered in New York City. Even though the show has intense scenes and heavy topics, it still has clever humor. Every character certainly has flaws but brings something important to the plot. Being a communication major and marketing minor, I found the business side of it interesting. Season 3 returns to HBO on October 17 and will also be available to stream on HBO Max.  

2. “Superstore”  

“Superstore” is an NBC sitcom starring America Ferrera that aired from 2015 to 2021. The show’s plot revolves around the dysfunctional employees working at a megastore called Cloud 9. In my sophomore year, I binge-watched the first four seasons of “Superstore” and loved it. Because of the ensemble cast and constant chaos, every episode is entertaining. I was able to catch up on seasons 5 and 6 this summer. I liked that “Superstore” handled the pandemic through the lens of frontline workers in the final season. Without revealing spoilers, the series finale wraps up each character’s storyline well which leaves viewers happy with the ending.  

3. “Luke Bryan: My Dirt Road Diary”  

I decided to watch Luke Bryan’s “My Dirt Road Diary” before seeing him in concert again in August. It’s a 5-episode docuseries that tells the story of the country singer’s journey to fame and how he overcame personal tragedies. The episodes feature behind-the-scenes footage and authentic interviews with Luke, his wife, and others. I’ve always been inspired by his journey and resilience, so this docuseries made me love Luke Bryan even more. You can watch “My Dirt Road Diary” on Amazon Prime through the IMDb TV channel.  

4. “Brooklyn 99”  

While one might expect a show about police officers and crime to be serious, Brooklyn 99 is the opposite. This sitcom follows Detective Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg) and his quirky colleagues at the NYPD’s 99th precinct in Brooklyn. Fans of “The Office” and “Parks and Rec,” may appreciate the characters and their meme worthy moments. It originally aired on Fox before moving to NBC. Because I started it in August, I haven’t finished the series yet with classes. “Brooklyn 99” is available on the NBC app and Hulu.  

5. “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”   

If you’re looking for a show that will make you cringe and laugh out loud, then FX’s “It’s Always Sunny” is perfect for you. The comedy centers around the ridiculous relationships and unethical behavior among a group of friends who own Paddy’s Pub in Philadelphia. Rob McElhenney and Glenn Howerton, who star in it, created the show back in 2005. Charlie Day, another cast member, also writes for “It’s Always Sunny” with McElhenney, Howerton, and Megan Ganz. They recently finished filming season 15, so I’m excited for it to come out. You can find all previous seasons of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” on Hulu.  

Once I finish “Brooklyn 99,” I’m sure I’ll be starting a new show. Considering how many Emmys they won, I’m thinking about watching “The Crown” or “Ted Lasso.” Hope you found my suggestions helpful – happy binge-watching!  

Samantha is a senior and writer for Her Campus at Loyola University Maryland. She's a Communications major specializing in Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. During her free time, Samantha loves discovering new music, fashion trends, food, running, and binge-watching Netflix.