Letter from the Editor – New School Year, New Articles!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Welcome back to Her Campus at Loyola University Maryland!  

We are SO excited to be back for our third year as a Her Campus chapter at Loyola and continue to provide articles by college women, for college women (or anyone else who’d like to give these articles a read). After Loyola admitted its largest freshman class in school history, we were happy to welcome a large group of new and returning writers. We have articles coming about plenty of topics, from lifestyle, arts and entertainment, personal stories, news, university events, and everything in between.  

At Her Campus LUM, our goal is to create an inclusive, welcoming environment for students to share their stories and gain experience writing for a publication. We want to cover fun, lighthearted topics as well as write about more serious issues. We strive to create a positive environment at our weekly meetings where everyone’s voice is heard, and all questions are answered. We also create engaging and informative content on our Instagram story (@hcatlum) that’s updated frequently for you to check out. We plan to have a new article published every day from Monday-Friday, so keep an eye out on this page, or on Instagram!  

We are also excited to announce the Her Campus LUM Book Club! This is an opportunity for members of the Loyola community to gather and discuss all things books! We meet once a month (meeting time TBD) and discuss books from a wide range of genres. If you have any questions or are interested in joining, email Elizabeth Gilmore (@ergilmore@loyola.edu). This is open to anyone attending Loyola, you do not have to be a Her Campus member to join!  

This semester we have an entirely new group of leaders that we want to introduce you to!  

Nicole Bacallao is our President for the Fall 2022 semester! She does a little bit of everything, from contributing to the social media team to making sure that everything is running smoothly. Nicole is a junior double majoring in Communication with concentrations in Ad/PR and Digital Media, as well as minoring in Marketing. Nicole is most looking forward to growing our chapter of Her Campus at Loyola. She believes that there is just so much potential for women on our college campus to get to know one another while also creating media content that they love. Nicole wants to foster a greater community connecting women from different backgrounds and pursuits here on campus. 

My name is Rory Durso, and I am the Interim Editor-in-Chief! I am taking over for our prior EIC, Elena, who is currently studying abroad in Belgium. I run the writing team, which involves organizing post schedules, proofreading articles, and publishing them onto this site. I am a junior Writing major and I’ve been with Her Campus LUM since Spring 2021. I am most looking forward to assembling a unified leadership team and creating a community of writers who provide positive feedback and valuable insight to the Loyola community. I am so excited to run Her Campus LUM with Nicole as Co-Campus Correspondents!  

Lieschen Walz is our Social Media Director! She runs the social media team and creates inspiring and entertaining content to post on our Instagram stories and feed. Lieschen is a junior studying Communications with a concentration in Ad/PR and a minor in Marketing. She’s most looking forward to meeting new people, creating some super cool content, and running our Instagram! 

Rounding out the Executive Board is Liz Mezzina and Marie Bosslett, the Co-Events/Planning Managers! Liz is a Communications major with a concentration in Ad/PR and minoring in Film Studies.   Marie is a Communications major with a concentration in Ad/PR and is minoring in Marketing and Writing. They are mostly looking forward to the awesome events we’re planning – it’s been really cool for them to spend time with both the social media and marketing teams. They both can’t wait to see all our hard work pay off! 

Along with our incredibly talented team of writers, event planners and social media superstars, we look forward to bringing you amazing, exciting content that we hope you’ll enjoy. We can’t wait to get started, so stay tuned for more articles! 

HCXO, 

Rory ☺️  

Rory is a senior Writing major/Journalism minor at Loyola University Maryland from Glenside, PA. In her spare time, Rory enjoys reading, watching sports, and spending time with her family and friends.