This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

When I think of spring, cleaning, organizing, and starting fresh comes to mind. A really great way to start this new season off is to bring some change through décor!

Decide How Big of a Change

This will be the foundation for all of the work that you do. In deciding how big of a change you want to make, some key things to consider are what your budget looks like, as well as the time frame you’re working with. For example, if you have lots of time and quite a bit of money on your hands, you can do an in-depth remodeling. This would include things that you couldn’t really do with less time and money. Some examples would be painting the walls, getting new furniture, and reorganizing your furniture.

Look for Inspiration

When decorating, getting carried away in the excitement of doing something creative and looking forward to the outcome can cause some issues. How? Well, because it’s easy to become eager and impulsive, it can lead to doing things without planning ahead, and then not liking the end result. To avoid this, I recommend looking for inspiration. The internet is an amazing place to do this. Pinterest comes immediately to mind as a very easy source to organize the inspiration for decorating. Besides the internet, you could always check out some magazines to flip through or watch a home renovation TV show!

Create a Budget

Now time for the not-so-fun part. We all would love to go on a shopping spree and buy all the cute things in sight. However, for the sake of our bank accounts, I’ll make sure that I’m coming up with a budget before going out and purchasing anything. You’d be surprised how cheap you can get certain things for, especially when going somewhere like The Dollar Store, Walmart, and Five Below. You could definitely walk out with a bunch of items working with only $15-$20. However, if you decide to do major renovations and want to buy paint, new bedding, and more décor, this will likely cost you around or above $150-$200. 

Decide What You Want to Get & Shop!

The second to last step is going out and purchasing all the items necessary which, of course, is one of the most exciting parts. Here’s a list of items you can typically buy in different price ranges! 

For up to $20, you can find…. 

Fake plants 

Salt lamp 

Picture frames 

Pillows  

Blankets 

Rugs 

Wall décor 

Whiteboard or Chalkboard  

Fairy lights 

Curtains 

For up to $100, you’ll likely find…

Gallon of good-quality paint 

A new comforter  

Furniture pieces (end tables, chairs, etc.) 

Peel & Stick Wallpaper  

Oil Diffuser and Oils 

Mirror 

Happy Decorating! Wishing you a very happy springtime filled with exciting and new things.

Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.