This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

As we enter midterm and finals season it is important to take a moment for yourself (or many!) I have cultivated a list of activities that I enjoy doing to refill my energy bucket and sustain me through these academic seasons.  

Read a book for fun and enjoyment  

I find that taking a moment to read a book that is interesting to you rather than the textbooks assigned can be a wonderful pass time.

Here are a couple of spooky books for the fall season:

• The Witch Elm by Tana French 
  • stranger things happen by Kelly Link 
  • The Mother Next Door by Tara Lokowski 
  • The Starling House by Alix Harrow 

Self-Care Night 

It’s not always skincare or painting your nails but taking time to better yourself and relax.

Some of my favorite self-care activities are:  

• Teaching myself to do something new like knitting or learning from Duolingo 
  • Writing down three good things that happened to me during the day  
  • Organizing/Cleaning my room  
  • Jamming out to my favorite music   

Watch Your Comfort Show/Movie

During the fall season there are plenty of cozy feeling tv shows and movies.

Here are some of mine:

• The Nightmare Before Christmas 
  • Hocus Pocus 1 and 2 
  • Gilmore Girls  
  • The Disney and Pixar Halloween Shorts 
  • Learn a New Hobby 

Learn a new skill

I find it extremely refreshing to learn a new hobby because it takes my mind off the constant stress of midterms and finals. There’s always something to learn.

Here are some ideas:

• Cook a new meal 
  • Learn how to edit photos 
  • Learn how to use Canva and the basics of graphic design
  • Go to group classes at the Fitness and Aquatic Center (FAC)

Scroll Through Social Media for Inspiration  

While scrolling can be addictive, you can also use social media to get your brain moving! Apps like Pinterest and TikTok can be a great tool for inspiration and creativity. I like to use Pinterest to create visions boards.

Here are some vision board ideas:

• Fashion
  • Career and academic goals  
  • Future homes
  • Travel destinations  

Often when we are busy focusing on what we need to do, we lose sight of what we want to do. That is when our energy bucket gets drained.  I hope these suggestions spark new ideas for a moment when you need to refill your own energy bucket. 

Sydney is a sophomore at LUM and is majoring in Data Science with a minor in Mathematics. She is from Denver, Colorado. During her free time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, exploring and having new adventures, and being active. Some of her favorite activities are dancing with the LUM Dance Company, scuba diving, hiking, skiing, and running. She loves trying new restaurants, eating good food, going to concerts and museums.