This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

If you’re a fan of Game of Thrones or just so happened to casually like shows filled with violence or regal politics, then House of the Dragon is for you! 

I was scrolling through my TV channels when I came across an ad for the show. I had missed the Game of Thrones craze while it was airing and found this 10-episode series to be the perfect length for my attention span. I became pleasantly enthralled with the storyline, betrayals and family structures (although the romance did take a little while to get used to).  

The show is constructed around our main character Rhaenyra Targaryen and her rise to power. Through out the show, we watch as she struggles in her relationship with her father, King Viserys, her best friend, Alicent and her uncle, Daemon, as well as those around her who wish to demolish her simply for being a woman. As I was watching the show, not only was I impressed by the beautiful use of cinematography and CGI, I was also blown away by the acting. 

The show has an extremely talented cast with Milly Alcock as Young Rhaenyra, Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen, Paddy Considine as King Viserys, Ewan Mitchell as Aemond, Olivia Cooke as Alicent, and Emma D’Arcy as Older Rhaenyra. The star-studded cast is super talented and they kept my eyes glued to the screen and impatiently waiting for more every Sunday. I feel like a show truly has done right if they can make you cry for specific characters, wish death for other characters and laugh fully for the rest. There’s a family element to the show, as I found myself rooting for Team Black (or Rhaenyra Targaryen) against the Greens (Alicent). It’s very clear to see that both women love their families dearly, but I just aligned myself with Rhaenyra more. It’s because of this love, the show so good. At its core, the show is about family. 

I found that I also really liked the show, mostly because it isn’t as gory or unnecessarily violent as Game of Thrones. The deaths in the show are tasteful and not as common, though that could be because the show is in its first season and still finding its footing. However, I didn’t find myself having to censor the screen as much as I may have while watching GOT.  

Regardless of if you’re a fan of gore or not, I would still give the show a chance. It’s not for the mere fact that it’s a great conversation point for meeting other fans (and new friends) as well. I was talking about this with one of my friends over the weekend, and somebody overheard us their own input about this show. Now we’re both anxiously waiting for season two to come out. It was enticing, interesting, thought provoking, rage inducing, and heartwarming. Its themes of power balance and misogyny and overcoming the odds were great. The show is about betrayal and treachery. There’s loyalty, shaky power balances, and hard decisions.

It might not be everyone’s cup of tea; it definitely wasn’t mine when I first heard of it. However, after giving it a chance, it’s become one of my all-time favorites. 

Bree Hawes is from Middle River, MD. She is a junior at Loyola University Maryland. Her major is Speech-Language Pathology. She enjoys watching anime (Full-Metal Alchemist is her all-time favorite!), musicals, reading manga, listening to the Arctic Monkeys, watching Marvel movies, and any and everything nerd related! In her free time, she is probably browsing Amazon for lego sets.