This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

When I’m working out, a lot of the time it feels like the only thing I can focus on is the activity I at hand. Each step feels like a fire burning from my ankles up to my thighs, the sound of silence blocked by my own breathing makes working out an uncomfortable, difficult task. Music is a way to eliminate this and focus on the rhythm of a song rather than on the action of working out.

For me music makes my workouts go by faster and keeps me pumped up. Whether it’s a run or a lifting session, the right music has always seemed to aid in my workout motivation. I depend very heavily on the beat of the music to help me keep a pace for running and many other forms of cardio. I’m always in need of good songs to motivate me to work out and these are some of the ones I’ve found to be the most effective for getting me hyped up and ready to go.

Active Workout Songs:

Bad Bad Bad (feat. Lil Baby) – Young Thug

Blood // Water – Grandson

Bounce Out With That – YBN Nahmir

Come & Go – Juice Wrld

Hot (feat. Gunna) – Young Thug

Jump Out the Window – Big Sean

Man of The Year – Juice Wrld

Midnight Memories – One Direction

Oh Okay (feat. Young Thug & Lil Baby) – Gunna

PICK IT UP (feat. A$AP Rocky) – Famous Dex

Pure Cocaine – Lil Baby

Ric Flair Drip – Offset & Metro Boomin

Rubbin Off the Paint – YBN Nahmir

Turks (feat. Travis Scott) – NAV & Gunna

VIBEZ – DaBaby

After working out I feel like just laying down and doing nothing, but I always make a point to stretch out my muscles after a workout. This active recovery completes my workout and makes sure I don’t wake up sore the next day! After hyping myself up with music during my workout, I play more relaxing music while stretching.

Here are a few of my favorite stretching songs:

Down Below – Roddy Ricch

Happiness – Rex Orange County  

Immortal (feat. The Game) – Trippie Redd

Let’s Do It Again – J Boog

Shoota – Playboi Carti

The Motion – Drake

Wishing Well – Juice Wrld

Wonder – Shawn Mendez

Even when you feel like you may be at the last push of your workout, where your body is draining and aching, just know your body can do more. For me, I just need the right song and the right beat, and the right mentality to keep me going. These songs are the ones that get me hyped up and motivated. They help me to do my best and keep pushing even when I feel like I have nothing left in the tank.

Holly Hanscom is a junior at Loyola University Maryland studying Communication with a specialization in advertising and public relations with a minor in marketing. In her free time you'll likely find her hiking with friends or family, reading a new book, or trying new recipes.