Style

Five Fashion Trends for Fall to Spice Up Your Wardrobe!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Fall is here, and there’s so much to look forward to – the change of weather, spooky decorations, pumpkin spice drinks – but nothing beats being able to pull out a new wardrobe in preparation for the new season. 

This year, so many trends have skyrocketed among the fashion world as the seasons change, with styles rapidly entering the industry and exiting just as quickly as they came. With the variety of micro trends made popular on social media, it can be hard to stay updated on the latest styles. In this guide, I’m sharing some of my five personal favorite fashion trends for this fall to “spice” up your wardrobe when the leaves start changing color! 

1. Leather jackets 

While leather jackets have been a staple wardrobe piece since their resurgence in the 1990s, oversized leather jackets paired with different outfits have become increasingly popular among social media influencers. The rise of oversized clothing allowed for these jackets to make an appearance in almost anyone’s wardrobe, and they can be dressed up or dressed down depending on the occasion. 

Some of my favorite outfits featuring a leather jacket are always paired with a mini dress, tights, and boots. It’s the perfect going out look or for coffee during the daytime! 

Urban Outfitters Jules Faux Leather Jacket 

Forever 21 Faux Leather Jacket 

1. Chunky loafers 

While once only imagined in the business world rather than the fashion world, incorporating loafers into outfits has become a recent trend across social media. Although there are a variety of styles of loafers to look for, some of my favorites are the chunky style loafers. They work well with almost any outfit, and with a skirt or dress, can be matched with bunched socks or frill socks for a softer look. 

Some of the shoes even feature buckles, clasps, or chains on the top of the shoe, which are super trendy! 

Steve Madden Lando Leather Loafers 

Princess Polly Unchained Patent Loafer 

1. Miniskirts & tights 

Miniskirts paired with a simple pair of black tights have always been in style, but they’re especially popular during the fall season when it’s just a bit too chilly to wear a skirt by itself. There are so many variations of this outfit, there’s hard to just pick one favorite version of how these two pieces are paired together! 

To add, wearing tights with small designs, rhinestones, or even fishnets is another great way to spice up this look into something perfect for fall! 

Pacsun LA Hearts Mini Skirt 

ASOS Black Heart Tights 

1. Mary Janes & leg warmers 

Similar to loafers, Mary Jane’s have resurged in popularity this year. Most of us might remember these shoes from our childhoods, but they’re making a comeback into our closets this year! Again, these can be paired with different styles of socks for a different vibe, but my personal favorite is with leg warmers or chunky socks that can be bunched down. Even better are platform Mary Janes, which also work with these sock combinations! 

This pairing with a miniskirt or a maxi skirt and tights with a sweater is both comfortable and convenient for the fall weather!  

Forever 21 Platform Mary Janes 

Doc Martens Smooth Leather Mary Janes 

1. Maxi & midi skirts 

While these pieces may seem more appropriate for summer, they work so well during the fall season with sweaters and turtlenecks! With these skirts, different patterns and lengths can create a variety of outfits for fall, including wearing fall colors or just simple black for the Halloween season. Sometimes, a maxi or midi skirt just works with an outfit rather than a miniskirt, and this is the perfect time to break them out! 

With these skirts, both styles of shoes listed above look perfect, so there are so many different options! Another one of my favorite ways to wear these skirts is with a pair of high top or low top sneakers! 

UNIF Mocha Midi Skirt 

Free People Backseat Glamor Maxi Skirt 

And there you have it! Those five fashion trends for fall are perfect to add into your wardrobe this season. It’s a perfect excuse to spice up your outfits in preparation for Halloween this month! Happy Fall! 

Sophie LaBella is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying writing and communications with a minor in studio arts. When she isn't studying or working on one of her many unfinished poems, you can find her recording for her radio show at WLOY, embroidering her jeans, dancing, or spending time with her best friends!