Style > Decor

Five Easy Ways to Decorate and Get Ready for Autumn 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

As the colors of leaves begin to change, and the air becomes cooler by the day, it’s clear that fall is finally among us. This means that fall festivities, food, and music have already begun making their way back into everyone’s lives. This includes home decor, and getting your space ready for the season. Below are five easy ways to spice up your living quarters and put you in the headspace for the season!  

Put up some festive lights  

Lights are always a good way to add ambiance to a space. There are plenty of affordable LED and battery-powered options nowadays. There are also many fall-themed lights (leaves, pumpkins, etc.) that add a special touch to get into the fall spirit.  

Fill your living space with a fall scent  

The scent is one of the first things you notice about a room, and having a nice-smelling space can make a huge difference in the atmosphere. Whether this be a candle, scented room spray, plugin air freshener, or something else, scent can make or break a space (make sure that whatever choose is dorm-safe!) 

Purchase some fall decorations  

Decorations are just another small way to add some fun to your living space. These decorations can range from big to small changes. Some ideas to think about are fall-themed bedding, pillows, and blankets. Other decorations include things like painted pumpkins, fall dish towels, or autumn knick-knacks. Check out the Target section for cute and affordable decor options!

Use some fall flowers for centerpieces  

Flowers, both real and faux, are a beautiful way to boost the mood of a space. There are many kinds of seasonal flowers to pick from and create a bouquet for centerpieces. I can guarantee they will be a lovely addition to tables and will give off the best fall vibes. Chrysanthemums, sunflowers and marigolds are three of the most popular, in-season fall flowers!

Stock up on fall food favorites  

Seasonal food is one way to feel in a festive mood. Flavors like pumpkin spice and apple have been staples in fall cuisine for ages now, and they are great ways to feel a little more in touch with the season. Trying out seasonal recipes like soups and chilies is also another way to get into the autumn spirit.

In addition to these, there are many more ways to elevate your living area and continue to get your spirits oriented for fall. I hope these few ideas give inspiration to help create a warm and welcoming living space.  

Jenna Mattern is a Communications (Journalism) student at Loyola University Maryland. In addition to being apart of Her Campus, she is also an RA, plays club softball, and is apart of the Honor Council. She has had experience writing for other organizations in high school, and is look forward to continuing her work through Her Campus. In her free time she loves to cook, hang out with friends, shop, and go to the beach!