Career

College Networking for Introverts: 10 Tips I’ve Learned 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

I have been an anxious and somewhat shy person for my whole life. While I can talk for hours with people I know, it can be hard to have that openness at first–especially in a professional setting. Middle and high school me would have never guessed that I have used my introversion to my advantage and have successfully networked my way through two internships, conferences, and numerous leadership positions.

With career fairs and summer internship season starting soon, networking is on many college students’ minds (and introverts do back up about 40% of the population!) While I am no expert on networking or career advice (check out the career center here for that!), here are a few tips that have worked for me. 

1. Know your limits and when to recharge.

You may have heard of the battery metaphor when it applies to introversion vs. extroversion. Extroverts charge their mental battery by being with others, while introverts charge it alone. And so, introverts become drained from too many social interactions and extroverts from too little. Of course, for introverts, recharging can be hard in networking situations, but understanding yourself and what you need is critical. You cannot be your most professional, best self if you don’t take care first. Think about how long you can handle being at a party where you don’t know many people; that’s what networking is–just professionalized. 

2. Have an exit strategy

You need two exit strategies: one for quick breaks and one for when you need to leave. Short breaks are a few minutes where you can catch your breath and regroup. The easiest way is to excuse yourself and go to the bathroom. Do some breathing, scroll on your phone, and collect yourself before going back out there! 

For actually leaving, it depends on the event. Usually, career fairs or conferences have an end time, so try and stick with that, but you can do so if you need to leave earlier for your mental health. Make an effort to get people’s contact information and follow up. Just say you aren’t feeling well or that you need to study. 

3. Digital network and follow up with emails

I am one of those obnoxious people that finds Linkedin lowkey fun: you get to see the success of your peers, follow interesting companies, and substantial industry leaders are only a click away. It can also be a lot easier for introverts. Make an effort to look up the Linkedin of people you’ve met or even that you just admire. Make notifications for job postings and follow companies and organizations you are aiming for: Similarly, email that contact. Don’t let the business cards go to waste! It makes the dream job feel a bit closer. 

4. Make a pitch

I think the term elevator pitch can be a bit intimidating. Instead, I like to reframe it as a personal pitch. Imagine that you are a guest on your favorite podcast, talk show, reality show, etc. How would you introduce yourself? Most people would mention their career and education but also passions and hobbies, and most would be able to rattle it off in under a minute. Try it. You will likely come off as polished but interesting at the same time. And most importantly, don’t be afraid of practice (we all talk to ourselves anyways) 

5. Practice with friends and family 

I don’t necessarily mean reciting your resume to your loved ones but instead, start integrating professional conversations into your already existing ones. Talk to your roommate about that internship, ask your mom if she has any colleagues that might be interested in you. Talk to others about their strategies. Have a friend go with you to the career fair (just make sure not to stick by their side all the time). In one of my first networking events for my first internship, my dad also happened to be attending for a different reason. Knowing that I had somewhere there just in case made the experience feel more comfortable. 

6. Ask for help

Along that similar vein, ask around for advice. Talk to professors and mentors about how they approach networking. It will decode some questions and will also make existing connections deeper. Professors and mentors want to see you succeed. They also may have contacts that you can use too. 

7. Feel and look the part 

Professionalism means different things to different people. It doesn’t have to look one specific way. Follow dress codes and look presentable but make sure you feel yourself. Confidence is key. That can mean dressing for style and comfort, doing your makeup or hair, or just carrying yourself well. I prefer dresses over pants and a lightweight jacket or sweater. I feel most “me” with wavy or curled hair and soft makeup, but it may look entirely different for others. The biggest thing that matter is that you go in, shoulders back, head high, with a smile. 

8. Stay engaged but know that you don’t have to talk the whole time. 

People like to talk about themselves, and as college students, we usually have less experience. Listen to others and take in what they’re saying while giving yourself a bit of a break from reciting your schpeel repeatedly. You can also take photos or write down notes to stay in the moment but have a break from actual networking. 

9. Know that it’s okay if you stumble 

Networking is not easy. People can be hard to get to know; it can be awkward and stressful. Give yourself grace and know that there will be many more times to put yourself out there. 

10. Finally, have a fun conversation. 

Whether you’re talking to a fellow student or a CEO, you are talking to a human. You are allowed to approach networking like you would any other thing. Take a deep breath and let yourself just be in the present. 

For more information on networking, please visit the Loyola Career Center here. 

Elena Johnston is the Editor in Chief for Her Campus at LUM. She is a senior Global Studies and Communications double major with a focus in PR at Loyola University Maryland. She is also the Communications Pathways Intern at the US Agency for International Development Bureau of Europe and Eurasia. You can usually find her in a bookstore or library listening to Taylor Swift.