This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Nothing really says Thanksgiving like a delicious homemade pumpkin pie. This recipe will be sure to give your family something to be thankful for! 

The first step to making a pie is the crust. For about 20 extra minutes, you can make your dough from scratch.  

1. Pie Crust (for a 9-inch pie) 

Ingredients 

• 2 cups all-purpose flour 

• 2 teaspoons granulated sugar 

• 1 teaspoon salt 

• 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature 

• ¼ cup shortening 

• 6 tablespoons water 

Steps 

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. 

1. Cut up the stick of butter into pieces. Then, put the butter into the bowl and using your hands, work the butter into the dry ingredients. Do this for about 2 minutes, or until there are some flattened chunks of butter. 

1. Add in the shortening by combing it into the mixture. Do this for about 1 minute. Similar to the butter, some chunks will remain, and this is okay.  

1. Slowly add in the water, making sure to comb it into the dough before adding any more. 

1. At this point, the dough should have come together. Make sure to not overwork the dough, as this will make it tough. 

1. Finally, form the dough into a disk shape and coat with a little bit of flour. Wrap it into plastic wrap. Then, put this in the refrigerator to cool. Ideally, let it sit for an hour, or at least 30 minutes. 

1. After prepping a surface with a little flour, roll the dough into even thickness, 12 to 14 inches wide.  

If this sounds like a lot for you, that’s perfectly fine! That’s what store-bought pie crust is for! 

1. Pie Filling 

Ingredients 

• 1 can of pumpkin (15 oz) 

• 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz) 

• 2 large eggs 

• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 

• ½ teaspoon ground ginger 

• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg 

• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves 

• ½ teaspoon salt 

Steps 

1. Heat oven to 425˚F. In a large bowl, beat the eggs slightly. Then, beat in sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin, and milk. 

1. Pour this into the crust and then bake for 15 minutes. 

1. After 15 minutes, reduce the oven to 350˚F. Then bake for about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. 

1. Cool the pie for at least 2 hours. 

To serve, top with whipped cream as desired. 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.