Album Review: James Arthur’s It’ll All Make Sense in the End  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

I discovered English singer James Arthur in 2016 when I first heard his hit, “Say You Won’t Let Go.” Since then, I’ve been a fan of the pop artist and enjoy listening to his discography. I was excited last year to learn he was recording another album. On November 5, James Arthur released It’ll All Make Sense in the End. In the days after its release, Arthur has been receiving widespread praise for his new music. Check out my thoughts on his latest album below!  

Like Arthur’s past albums, It’ll All Make Sense in the End is an emotional record that explores heartbreak, hope, love, and mental health. I also appreciate how this album explores the concept of time while he sings about the past, present, and future. I also think that James Arthur’s lyrics always stand out compared to other musicians. Each of the 14 tracks tell a vivid story with such vulnerability. It makes listeners feel like they can count on Arthur’s music to help them during tough times. Since he made the album in lockdown, the universal themes are even more impactful. In addition, James Arthur experiments with different genres which prevents the songs from sounding the same. For example, the second verse of “Déjà Vu” is hip-hop based which marks a shift from the singer-songwriter style of the first verse.  

Here are my favorite songs from the album: 

1. “Medicine”  

“Medicine” resonates with me as it expresses how love can be a healing force in one’s life. Arthur wrote the song about his partner who supported him through darks days living through the pandemic. Despite some sad aspects of the song, its mid-tempo maintains an optimistic tone.  

1. “September”  

As soon as James Arthur released “September” as a single in June, I had it on repeat the whole summer. I love how he describes the stages of the relationship with vivid imagery which makes the listener think of someone they know. In an interview with Flaunt Magazine, Arthur gives some behind-the-scenes insight on the song’s funny music video.  

1. “Emily”  

Arthur wrote “Emily” as a dedication to his future daughter. He was inspired to write the song when he had a conversation with a previous girlfriend about having kids. Although he is not a father yet, he wanted to envision what it would be like to experience the joys and difficulties of parenthood.  

1. “Take It or Leave It”  

As the final track, “Take It or Leave It” serves as a full-circle moment for the album. In the song, Arthur sings about the mental toll that his career has put on him. However, the reference to the album’s title in the song’s bridge and outro suggests that everything will work out despite the mixed emotions Arthur’s experiencing.  

Now that live entertainment is back, it’s the perfect time to head to a concert again! If you’re a fan of the new album, you’ll be happy to know James Arthur goes on tour in 2022 with 20 performances in North America. You can find a list of all show dates on his website.  

Samantha is a senior and writer for Her Campus at Loyola University Maryland. She's a Communications major specializing in Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. During her free time, Samantha loves discovering new music, fashion trends, food, running, and binge-watching Netflix.