Molly Peach-Girl With Fall Leaves Outsidee
Molly Peach / Her Campus

8 Places to Go Leaf Peeping When You Need a Break from Online Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Leaf peeping – a term, new to me, referring to the act of traveling “to view and photograph fall foliage in areas where the leaves change colors in autumn” according to the ever-helpful Wikipedia. As someone who gets excited at the thought of getting in the car to go for a drive and see the leaves changing in the fall, I’m not quite sure that this term fits me. I’ve never traveled far to see the leaves, but just today my dad asked me if I wanted to go for a drive to go see the leaves changing, and it got me thinking about how excited I am to be home this fall. Driving to see the leaves is something that hasn’t even been an option the past three falls I’ve spent on campus in Baltimore. Of course, our Evergreen campus is absolutely gorgeous in the fall and I will miss seeing the Gingkoes on Hillside and next to Maryland Hall and the beautiful colors on the quad. But, when was the last time I could go for a drive with my dad, just because, to go take in nature? It’s been too long. And with that realization comes another: when else am I going to have opportunities like this?

So, with that said, today I’m sharing with you some of the most scenic drives in our little Virginia to Maine corridor that most of us Loyola students call home. Maybe you’ll find yourself wanting to get in the car and go for a ride to enjoy this season too. What better way to take a break from your laptop and the neverending Zoom classes?

Harpers Ferry, WV

Blue Ridge Parkway

Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park

The Berkshires

White Mountain National Forest

Weir Farm National Historic Site

The Catskills

Acadia National Park

Ready to go for a drive yet?

We’d love to see where you’re (safely) exploring! Send us an email at hc.lum@hercampus.com or DM us on Instagram to show us what the foliage looks like where you are this semester. You may even be featured on our socials!

Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.