This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

It’s midterm season, Greyhounds! And you know what that means: little sleep, lots of coffee, and a desperate need to engage your brain without doing your philosophy reading. Lucky for you, here are seven fun and fluffy books to keep you literate without breaking your brain bank.

“No Matter the Wreckage” by Sarah Kay

Sarah Kay is one of my favorite poets, and the uplifting, inspiring, and relatable words of “No Matter the Wreckage” are the perfect remedy to a stressful day. Kay is a spoken word poet, and her poems are meant to be listened to aloud, so definitely spring for the audiobook. She narrates all of them in a brilliant and conversational tone that feels like talking to a friend. 

“Crazy Rich Asians” by Kevin Kwan

So I know most of us have seen the fantastic rom-com based on the book, but if you haven’t read the book, you are seriously missing out on fun escapism into the drama-filled lives of the wealthy Asian families. It’s funny, heartfelt at times, and more than anything, something light and fun to get your mind off of stress.

“Sex and the City and Us: How Four Single Women Changed the Way We Think, Live, and Love” by Jennifer Keishin Armstrong 

With the new release of Netflix’s show Emily In Paris, it is time to revisit TV writer Darren Star’s most infamous project, Sex and the City. While slightly outdated, Sex and the City still proves iconic; with this book, revisit how the TV show came to be and the broader popular culture impact of Carrie, Charlotte, Samatha, and Miranda. 

“Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between” by Lauren Graham

For another TV read, check out this memoir by Gilmore Girls’ lead star Lauren Graham. 2020 marks the 20th anniversary of the show, so it is perfect for reflecting and revisiting the TV show equivalent to comfort food that so many grew up alongside. Stars Hollow, here we come!

“The Night Circus” by Erin Morganstern

Okay, so this book does require some thought, but it is genuinely one of my favorite books ever and is such pure magic and escapism. Join the world of a magical circus and forget all your troubles. Fall in love with the characters and escape the world for a bit. Would recommend reading in one sitting for full effect. 

“Red, White & Royal Blue” by Casey McQuiston 

Fluffy romance, political intrigue, LGBT representation, and light-hearted comedy. What else do you need in a book? Seriously, if you want a quick read and a fun political story to escape the current world, this is it! Respect butterflies, puns, and lots of giggling. 

And finally… “National Geographic Greatest Landscapes: Stunning Photographs That Inspire and Astonish” by National Geographic

Because when all else fails, take a moment and look at how beautiful the earth is, all will be okay. Never underestimate the power of nature to ease your mind, even if it is just a photograph. 

Wishing everyone luck this midterm season! Let us know what your favorite light reads are and if you check any of these out on our social media!

Elena Johnston is the Editor in Chief for Her Campus at LUM. She is a senior Global Studies and Communications double major with a focus in PR at Loyola University Maryland. She is also the Communications Pathways Intern at the US Agency for International Development Bureau of Europe and Eurasia. You can usually find her in a bookstore or library listening to Taylor Swift.
Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.