This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Throughout our busy schedules, it can become challenging at times to remember our own mental health with our academic schedules, sport commitments, hobbies, and daily lives. Here are five helpful tips in case you run into a stressful time!

1. Move Around 

Going on a short walk outside or getting up from your desk to take a few minutes to yourself will allow you to think upon your stressor without acting on the conflict with no prior reflection.  

1. Take Control of the Situation  

By taking control of the situation, if that is by removing a bad habit from your life, ending a bad relationship with a toxic lover or friend, or by developing a strong mindset and growing into a stronger individual inside and out to tackle your situation or tasks will enable you to carry out those responsibilities with a little more peace and ease.   

1. Talk to Someone Who can Help 

Maybe you’ve found yourself stuck in a situation that you can’t remove yourself on your own, and you need to find someone to assist you. Finding that someone with the proper skill set or someone with great guidance can help you navigate through your situation easier. (I know I need help at times, even if I don’t want to admit it) ;)  

1. Do Something You Enjoy 

Paint, dance, sing, cook, exercise, rest, video games, makeup, nails, skateboard…Do something you love to get away from your stressor! It definitely helps reset your mood and also, lowers anxiety and stress levels for some time.  

1. Critically Think 

When stuck in something you can’t get away from and you need to fix or leave that situation, try to critically think without allowing your emotions take control. By critically thinking, your chances of properly fixing or leaving that stressor are higher than doing or saying the first thing that comes to mind when flooded by your emotions. Easier said than done, but try to remember to breath and critically think!  

With all of your priorities, taking care of yourself may seem like a secondary job. By using the five tips from this article, you can be assured of having the right strategies for taking charge of stressful situations in a quicker and easier manner.

Hello everyone, my name is Veronica, and I am a student at Loyola University Maryland. I am currently majoring in Political Science but plan to double major in Political Science and Writing and minor in Music Performance. I enjoy writing short stories and poems on my own and have been eager to join an organization that offers the opportunity of publishing literary work.