This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

It’s officially fall, which means it’s time to update your playlists to reflect the season. I’m not sure if I’m the only one, but when the weather gets cold, I like to listen to music that is soft and comforting. I have a fall playlist that is currently 8 hours long and only gets longer as the season goes on. I have lots of favorite songs that I feel represent cozy weather, but here are five that I think you need to add to your playlist right now! 

Easy on Me- Adele 

I feel like the whole world missed Adele- and rightfully so. Her come-back track is a poignant tale of finding oneself after her highly publicized divorce. She specifically acknowledges that she gave everything she could to her relationship. She sings, “You can’t deny how hard I have tried/I changed who I was to put you both first,” likely referencing her ex-husband and son. The track is accompanied by beautiful piano and is perfect for any autumn playlist.  

Champagne Problems- Taylor Swift 

After Taylor Swift dropped evermore last December, it quickly became my perfect winter album. One of my favorite tracks off the record is champagne problems, a track about two lovers who are completely different paths in life. Swift penned the song with her boyfriend, and you can hear the emotion in her voice as she sings. My favorite part of the song is the bridge, where Swift sings “One for the money, two for the show/I never was ready so I watch you go.”

Bad- James Bay 

Following the success of his first album, Bay solidified his spot on my fall playlist. One of my favorite tracks off his 2019 EP is Bad. The song is about a failed relationship that Bay cannot seem to stop reminiscing about. He sings “I want what we had/but what’s broken don’t unbreak.” The soft guitar makes this song extremely special and easy to listen to. Every time it comes on, I find myself singing along. 

Malibu Nights- LANY 

There seems to be a recurring theme here with the songs I recommend, but LANY’s Malibu Nights had to make this list. Although it is yet another breakup track, the guitar and piano are what make the song stand out. It starts off slow and picks up towards the end, which is my favorite thing about it. The lyrics are profound yet simple- “I drive circles under streetlights/nothing seems to clear my mind/I can’t forget.” It’s a sad but reflective song that’s worth a listen. 

Robbers- the 1975 

The 1975 is known for being experimental with their sound, and 2014’s Robbers is no exception. The track’s iconic guitar riff is breathtakingly beautiful. Lead singer Matty Healy wrote the song about two lovers who are not good for one another but continue to come back. The lyrics are raw, but they perfectly encapsulate the emotions that come along with a failing relationship. It has been one of my most listened to songs for the past 5 years- and for good reason. 

Listen here:

I hope you give each of these songs a listen. Although they are all sonically different, they are each a great addition to any autumn playlist. All of these songs deliver meaningful, heartfelt lyrics that will make you want to turn them up. Whether you prefer guitar, piano, or electronically produced music, there is something for everyone on this list. 

Claire Blose is currently a junior at Loyola University Maryland majoring in Advertising and Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she is not studying, you’ll likely find her listening to music, exploring the great outdoors, or trying new recipes in the kitchen.