5 Fantasy Books to Jump into This Semester 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Here are five awesome fantasy books to enjoy this semester!

1. Dance of Thieves by Mary E. Pearson 

Kazi, a street thief turned royal soldier, is sent on an undercover mission to capture a fugitive hiding out in a kingdom under the Ballengers. This family uses brute force to control their power and their new leader, Jase, becomes defensive when royal soldiers come in asking questions. Through magical lands and quick-witted riddles, these two characters collide in fantastical showdowns.  

1. The Bones of Ruin by Sarah Raughley 

The Hunger Games meets P.T. Barnum in this novel about Iris, a girl who cannot die. Set in Victorian London, this African tightrope walker navigates through a Tournament of Freaks. This novel is action-packed and filled with twists and turns, tied together with a strong, complex female lead.  

1. Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo 

Enter the secret societies of Yale with Alex Stern, a girl who can see ghosts and is tasked with supervising the privileged and powerful, all while trying to manage her own life. Full of bone-chilling rituals, tragic backstories and mysterious characters, this novel will have you laughing, crying, and dying to order the next book.  

1. Sword Catcher by Cassandra Clare 

Kel is a sword catcher, or a body double, for the royal heir of a kingdom that has outlawed magic. Lin, one of the last people who still have magic, and Kel are thrown together after a failed assassination attempt and must work together to maneuver through the criminal underworld. Cassandra Clare, known for the Shadowhunter Chronicles, creates an entirely new kingdom that you cannot put down. 

1. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson  

Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux is welcomed to London with all the essentials: posh accents, cobblestone everywhere and the return of Jack the Ripper. She is the only one who can see this nefarious murderer and must figure out how to stop him before she becomes the phantom’s next victim. Fans of true crime and the supernatural will follow Rory on a journey through boarding school and defeating a ghost, all in a foreign country.  

Enjoy these fantasy recommendations!

Kaitlyn (pronouns she/her) is an undergraduate student at Loyola University Maryland, class of 2027. She is a communications major with specializations in journalism and advertising/public relations. She is looking to further her career in the editing and publishing business, working with others to showcase their best work. Kaitlyn's interests range from self-care and wellness to numerous types of media. She is a member of the dance company on campus, exploring the styles of tap, jazz, lyrical, and contemporary dance. You can also find her in the yoga studio or kayaking on the weekends to explore nature. Her interest in nail care knows no bounds, with her nails painted a different color every other week along with a new design, inspired by Pinterest of course. She is an avid reader, spanning genres of mystery, romance, and young adult. Cozying up with a good book and hot chocolate under a blanket is one of Kaitlyn's favorite pastimes. Her favorite musical artists are Taylor Swift, Maisie Peters, and Olivia Rodrigo. Additionally, she watches lots of comedy shows, Brooklyn 99 and New Girl being her favorites. Kaitlyn made it a goal this year to watch more classic movies, as she want to learn more about cinematography and how different time periods affect movie contexts. Overall, Kaitlyn is a dedicated and passionate writer looking to resonate her thoughts and ideas with fellow female college students!