This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Fall is finally here. Unlike everyone else around me, I’m not all that excited. While everyone else is raving over pumpkin-spice everything filling the grocery shelves again, all I can focus on is how cold it’s getting. When I was younger, I used to love fall because my elementary school took us to a pumpkin patch each year, so I always had something to look forward to when this season rolled around. Besides Thanksgiving (if that even counts), I don’t have any fall traditions to get me excited about this time of year anymore. So, to get myself into the fall spirit again, and to hopefully distract myself from focusing on the dreaded cold, here are five fall activities I want to try this year that may inspire you to start some of your own too: 

Going Apple Picking

Since I might be a little too old to revisit the pumpkin patch on my own, apple picking comes in at a close second. What I loved about the pumpkin patch as a kid was that there was so much more to it than just picking out pumpkins. There were hayrides, giant slides, food, and tons of games. Depending on which farm you go to in Maryland, you can get a pretty similar experience when you go to pick out your apples. 

Try Apple Cinnamon Everything

I was never able to jump onto the pumpkin spice trend, so as an alternative, I figured I’d indulge in a different fall flavor. From apple cinnamon Cheerios to apple pie flavored cookies, I plan to try it all this year.

Bake an Apple Crisp (or Crumble)

Continuing with the apple cinnamon theme, I want to try to bake something apple-flavored of my own. Over the past few months I’ve taken up baking as a hobby, and I would love to create my own signature recipe to share with family and friends each year.

DIY Fall Decor

In honor of the fall season, one of my assignments for my drawing class was to draw a still life of two mini pumpkins. This got me thinking that maybe it would be fun to DIY some fall decor to go with my new piece of artwork. This would definitely be a good tradition to start if you love crafts like I do. And on top of that, it’ll save you a few dollars for sure.

Fall Photoshoot

This idea came from my sister, and I absolutely love it. As I mentioned before, I dread the cold that this time of year brings, but I do enjoy watching the leaves change color. Everything looks so pretty during the fall season, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t take advantage of all the scenery and get a few pictures in!

Jayda Lawlah is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Psychology. In addition to her interest in Psychology, she also has a love for all things studio art and graphic design. On campus, she is an RA and peer mentor, and she is also currently the Vice President of Loyola's Black Student Association.
Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.