This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

It’s that time of year again: the leaves are changing, boots are coming out and the air is crisp like apples. Fall is upon us and as I sit outside in my sweater sipping my hot chocolate, I want to highlight some of the best books to read this season. So, I encourage you to find a comfy chair, a hot beverage and immerse yourself in some of these fall reads: 

1. Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson    

Set in the picturesque mountains of Vermont, a murder mystery unravels at the hand of Stevie Bell, a true-crime expert. While visiting Ellingham Academy, a private school for the best of the best, she weaves through a mystery from the past that starts to coincide with the present, while trying to find her own identity.  

This book immediately strikes you with fall and dark academia vibes, diving into the bright autumn leaves, maple syrup in every food and the start of a new school year. 

2. A Secret Service by Joy Jenkins    

Continuing with the theme of self-exploration, A Secret Service is about Carter Owens, a social outcast, pushed to let down her barriers to friendship. Set in Washington DC, two new students at an elite private school are keeping a major secret and befriend her. Carter, the daughter of a secret service agent, will have to navigate through her own trauma while figuring out what the new students are hiding.  

Prep school, young love, and family drama: what more could the perfect in-between-class book have? 

3. November 9 by Colleen Hoover      

With every book Colleen Hoover pulls on our heartstrings, and November 9 checks all the boxes of a fall romance with coffee-filled conversations and quaint bookshops.  

Fallon meets Ben, an aspiring author, on the same day each year, and they tell each other about their lives and grow closer, but as time goes by, Fallon suspects she might be no more than a muse to Ben and he’s preparing to pull a plot twist. 

4. Immortal Longings by Chloe Gong     

This recommendation does come with recency bias, as I just finished reading this adult fantasy novel, but I could not recommend a better dystopian thriller.  

Told from three points of view, this Hunger Games-adjacent society faces threats from its own monarchy and neighboring enemies. This book will keep you guessing with all the twists, turns and bloodshed along the way, prepping you for spooky season.  

5. Coraline by Neil Gaiman  

Jumping right into spooky season, many of us have seen the classic and creepy button-eyed movie but have not actually read Coraline. This dark fantasy horror takes childhood nightmares and turns them into reality with alternate-reality monsters and details that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Get together with friends to read and watch Coraline this Halloween.  

So that’s all the cozy autumn reads we have for you today but there are so many more who could worm their way into our bookshelves (and hearts) so turn those pages, sip that pumpkin spice latte and keep reading! 

Kaitlyn (pronouns she/her) is an undergraduate student at Loyola University Maryland, class of 2027. She is a communications major with specializations in journalism and advertising/public relations. She is looking to further her career in the editing and publishing business, working with others to showcase their best work. Kaitlyn's interests range from self-care and wellness to numerous types of media. She is a member of the dance company on campus, exploring the styles of tap, jazz, lyrical, and contemporary dance. You can also find her in the yoga studio or kayaking on the weekends to explore nature. Her interest in nail care knows no bounds, with her nails painted a different color every other week along with a new design, inspired by Pinterest of course. She is an avid reader, spanning genres of mystery, romance, and young adult. Cozying up with a good book and hot chocolate under a blanket is one of Kaitlyn's favorite pastimes. Her favorite musical artists are Taylor Swift, Maisie Peters, and Olivia Rodrigo. Additionally, she watches lots of comedy shows, Brooklyn 99 and New Girl being her favorites. Kaitlyn made it a goal this year to watch more classic movies, as she want to learn more about cinematography and how different time periods affect movie contexts. Overall, Kaitlyn is a dedicated and passionate writer looking to resonate her thoughts and ideas with fellow female college students!