Life > Experiences

4 Things to Do While Alone for Valentine’s Day 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

When you are single, it sometimes feels like Valentine’s Day is a holiday made up to sell flowers, chocolate, jewelry, and other things associated with love and romance. If you find yourself spending February 14th alone, here are some things you could do to distract yourself from the loneliness.  

Read a Book/Watch A Movie 

It’s important to remember that the best relationships are between fictional characters. Because they aren’t real, fictional relationships are pretty much perfect. Sure, the characters may have issues to resolve, but there’s a guaranteed happily-ever-after that comes with reading a romance book or watching an action movie where the good guys always win. If, like me, you prefer living vicariously through fictional characters, and don’t have a significant other for Valentine’s Day, there are plenty of books or movies you can watch that usually have a couple getting together or breaking up. Depending on what you are in the mood for, the choices are endless. 

Take Yourself on a Date 

I think especially during the time around Valentine’s Day, we get caught up in the idea that we need to spend time with others in order to have a good time. This does not have to be the case. Taking yourself on a date can be as minimal as going on a walk by yourself or taking yourself out to eat. The hardest part about this one is the awkwardness, so bring a book or a new podcast to listen to. It will help you feel less alone and hopefully less awkward about spending time with yourself. 

Have a Self-Care Night 

Self-care means a lot of different things to different people, which is why it’s called self-care. Take a moment to listen to your body and mind. If you need to take a shower or complete an intricate skincare routine, do that! If you feel gross, paint your nails or do something to perk up your self-image! Mental health is just as important as physical health, especially during a time when you might be feeling more emotionally vulnerable than usual. 

Treat Yourself! 

Someone else does not need to buy you a gift! Especially if there is something you’ve been eyeing for a while, or if you’ve been saving up to splurge on something nice, this is the perfect time to do something nice for yourself. Future you will be very grateful to past you. 

Whether you are spending it with someone you love, or by yourself, have a safe and happy Valentine’s Day!! 

Rory is a senior Writing major/Journalism minor at Loyola University Maryland from Glenside, PA. In her spare time, Rory enjoys reading, watching sports, and spending time with her family and friends.