Author of article journaling in car
Author of article journaling in car
Original photo by Sarah Sommers

Your Ultimate Guide to Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Let’s be honest, life can be pretty stressful at times. Even if we’re very good at hiding our emotions and still have a sparkling smile on our faces, we all have our struggles. I know I’ve smiled through a lot of the roughest times of my life but journaling has helped me get through it all. When I say journaling, I don’t mean writing in a diary and keeping all of my deep dark secrets in a locked journal just like the 2nd grade. To be completely transparent, I do spill some secrets in my journals but I use it as more of a stress-relieving outlet. 

I understand that writing and journaling isn’t for everyone so in this article, I’ve simplified the task of journaling in a way that can work for just about anyone! I’m going to share my own experience with journaling and why I feel it’s important to do it. In addition to this, I’ll share some of my favorite journals I’ve had over the years and give you some journaling prompts to get you started. 

Why should you journal?

I know I’m not alone when I say that in my elementary years, I would keep a very pink, sparkly, locked journal under my pillow and it was filled cover to cover with my deep dark secrets like how Clare had a crush on David but I liked David so how could I still be friends with her? Okay that example was oddly specific… anyway! I have been “journaling” my entire life without even knowing it. It wasn’t until my sophomore year of high school that I started taking the hobby a little more seriously. In fact, from sixth grade to freshman year, I gave up on journaling as I felt it was too “immature” to have a diary. The stigma of a diary is that it’s childish and almost embarrassing. I regret this greatly as throughout those years, I went through some things that I wish I talked about in a journal so I could see my progress as I grew up. 

1. Your older self will thank you.

That brings me to my first point on why journaling can be beneficial. No matter what age we are, we are continuously growing and maturing. The people we meet in this lifetime will come and go and the feelings associated with them might fade eventually but you’ll never forget the important ones. I met some people in my freshman year of high school that ended up leaving my life but I wish I had journaled during that time to reminisce on how they made me feel and to learn from my past. Journaling is a great way to keep track of the timelines of your life. You can remember little moments you had with people and re-read them later on. 

1. It’s a great stress-relieving activity. 

Another benefit of journaling — as mentioned before — is it’s a great outlet to relieve stress or other emotions you may have. There have been many studies on this topic but to summarize them all, journaling is almost like therapy. You can talk about stressful or traumatic experiences you’ve had and use those entries as a way to cope with the thoughts or feelings you have. When you talk, or in this case, write about traumatic experiences, it can help you fully gather or explore the situation and see how you feel. I want to make it known that this is in no way a “better replacement” for therapy but therapy isn’t always available for everyone so this can help those who can’t reach a therapist. 

1. You’re writing your legacy for future generations.

My third reason on why journaling is so beneficial is kind of a silly one. We all grow old and in our older years, some of us are going to have grandkids that are interested in our young lives. Journaling can be a great way to keep track of your legacy. I know personally, I would love to have a journal from my grandparents. It can get you a glimpse into their lives growing up and helps when the grandparents can’t remember a lot of details from their childhood. Like I said before, when you journal about little moments that happen, you can re-read them later on in life and almost relive memories. You don’t know until you’ve gotten older that the little moments were the big moments. 

1. It can help with your creative side.

My fourth and final reason (although I could go on for hours about more reasons) for why journaling is beneficial is plain and simple. Writing can be a great way to get your creative juices flowing. This is probably one of my favorite ways to journal. You can use a prompt or question to start your thoughts wandering and put them on paper. Journaling prompts can come in a great variety and you can always find one that makes you excited to write! Below, I have given you some examples/ previous prompts I’ve enjoyed journaling about. Using a prompt is a great way to journal when you don’t know what to talk about! You’d be surprised by the things you write when you’re being creative. 

Author of article journaling in car
Original photo by Sarah Sommers

My favorite journals

Over the years, I’ve used many different kinds of journals running from many different prices but below are some of my all-time favorite ones! I always love to get a blank covered journal so I can customize it! This is also a great way to get your creative juices flowing. These are in no particular order:

1. Paperage Lined Journal Notebook

You can find this journal on Amazon. It is fairly priced and you can choose from a variety of colors. It’s also a blank cover so you can add stickers or customize it to feel more personal. In the past, I’ve ordered the black and pink one and it has lasted me a few years now. 

1. Huhuhero Notebook Journal

This journal is also on Amazon. You can buy just one, or if you are jumping head first into the deep end, you can buy a pack of five or ten to supply yourself for a few years. I have bought the five pack before and used them for daily journaling or other purposes like a bucket list or travel journal. 

1. Gartner Studios Fabric Snap Closure Journal

Target is also a great place to get journals. I love this one because it’s almost like a “locked” journal. Over the years, I’ve found that a “closed” journal like this one is nice for daily journaling, but I am not a fan of this style for a journal I take around with me. 

1. C. R. Gibson Leather Journal

I have bought this exact journal twice. One of them is used for my traveling abroad journal and the other is for daily journaling. It is a great leather journal and holds up well. My travel journal is bent beyond belief as it’s full of tickets and photos and it is still intact! 

1. Pen + Gear Leatherette Journal

This is one of my favorite, cheaper journals that I found at Walmart. It’s a great price and so far, the pink one I have has held up pretty well. This is a great option if you don’t want to break the bank but still get into journaling. 

20 Journaling Prompt Ideas

1. What does your dream life look like? 
  2. What does happiness mean to you? 
  3. If you could write a letter to your younger (or older) self, what would you say?
  4. Make a list of what you are grateful for today. 
  5. What activities set your soul on fire?
  6. Write your bucket list.
  7. What inspires you? 
  8. Write your goals for today, this week, month, or year.
  9. Where were you one year ago today? 
  10. Make a list of all your favorite things/ what makes you happy.
  11. What is your favorite quote and why?
  12. Write a letter to someone important to you.
  13. If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be and why? 
  14. What is one of your favorite childhood memories?
  15. Is there anything you regret, if so what are they and why? 
  16. What do you wish more people knew about you and why?
  17. Make a to do list for the day or week.
  18. What are your favorite songs and why?
  19. What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
  20. Make a list of your favorite memories with family and friends. 
Sarah is from Dayton, Ohio and is currently studying MultiMedia Journalism at Loyola University Chicago. She enjoys thrifting, traveling, fashion, film photography and lifestyle. She is a creative person and finds comfort in writing, exploring the great city of Chicago, and listening to music. Her dream job is to travel and see the world as she writes about different cultures and activities to do in those different countries. Instagram: @sarahgsommers