This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

The Second Annual Women’s March Chicago, on January 20th, 2018, consisted of roughly 300,000 marchers. People united for a variety of different reasons. Here are just a few examples of why we march.

“I wanted to go again this year, because I feel like now more than ever it is important for women to show solidarity with one another. I believe that we will never be able to tackle to issues and systematic oppression facing us, if we don’t feel like we have allies within each other. I went because I want to know I have that support system in my fellow women, and to show other women, and marginalized groups that I am an ally as well.” —Liz Schwarting, second-year.

“I march to celebrate the inspiration, love, and compassion the women around us share with us every day. Today, and every day, we need to make a conscious effort to respect and cherish every woman even if they are different from us.” —Anji Patel, second-year.

(Photo courtesy of Anji Patel.)

“So I marched to show my continued support of the fight for women’s rights and resistance to the Trump administration. I was inspired by the fact that the movement has gained more support over the last year and that women and men alike are dedicated to the cause.” —Stephanie Luniewski, third-year.

“‘Power to the polls’ was the slogan. Last year I felt the emotions were much more rooted in anger and sadness. This year it was all about determination. The goal was completely focused on the 2018 elections. The main goal was getting people trained to register other people who don’t usually vote. They realized that everyone who was at the march was mostly already involved and would vote so the goal was for them to spread the motivation to others.” —Paul Luniewski, high school senior (Stephanie’s little brother)

“I marched because in a world of big corporations and governments I often feel as though I don’t have a voice. Being apart of the Chicago Women’s March made me empowered to be apart of a larger community of women, non-binary individuals, and ally’s who actively fight for change. I will no longer stand on the sidelines while people are oppressed and their rights are unprotected. I marched for women of all races, gender identities , socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, documentation statuses, abilities, and ethnicities. I believe change only happens when we fight for it together.” —Megan Deitchler, second-year.

(Photo courtesy of Megan Deitchler)

Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.