Why Meghan is Your New Girl Crush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Monday, November 27th, royal watchers like myself were delighted to learn of Prince Harry’s engagement to American actress Meghan Markle. She is already making waves as a breath of fresh air for the royal family and many hope that she will bring a new voice to the royal family and usher them into the 21st century.

And she is about to become your 2018 girl crush. Here is why:

She is focused on giving back to others

Being a royal means devoting yourself to philanthropy, such as Princess Diana’s work in the battle against AIDS, and her fiancés recent work in his mother’s same charities.

In an essay to Elle Magazine, Markle tells how her mother taught her how to be a “global citizen, with eyes open to sometimes harsh realities”. Coming onto a global stage with as much presence as the royal family, we can expect Markle to us her fame to shed light on important campaigns. She has already used her television fame to champion gender equality, and clean-water initiatives.

She is an active feminist

She had just been named the UN Women’s Advocate for Political Participation and Leadership.

Recent videos have surfaced of her as a teen, calling into a local radio program and attacking the host for referring to women like “meat.”

She is bi-racial

She is the great-great-great granddaughter of an emancipated slave. Last December she wrote an article for Elle magazine saying she was “more than the Other” and reclaimed her identity as more than just a mixed race woman.

She is smart as hell

She graduated from Northwestern University School of Communication in 2003.

She has two adorable dogs

Two adopted dogs named Bogart and Guy.

*Photos found on Meghan’s personal instagram

She has an amazing classic, minimalist style

*Photos found in both Vanity Fair and InStyle

Sophomore at Loyola University Chicago
Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.