Ugo Okere, Loyola’s Brighter Tomorrow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Wondering who this GQ stud is? Well, it’s Ugo, an LUC sophomore and social work major, and Loyola’s brighter tomorrow! What makes this guy incredibly unique is his outgoing personality and intense passion for social justice. He strives for diversity and equality, and hopes to make a difference on campus and in the world. Ugo is also heavily active on campus, such as being a Co-Social Justice Chairman of Kapwa, Loyola’s Filipino organization and Co-Fashion Show Director/Producer of Loyola’s Council of Pan Asian Americans (COPAA).  His colorful sense of vocabulary, strong mindset, and authentic spirit are infectious to all and, they are the qualities that which make this guy truly an inspiration to all.

Name: Ugochukwu Okere

Hometown: Chicago, IL (Born in Nigeria)

Year: Sophomore

Major: Social Work

Minor: Political Science

HC: How would you describe your LUC experience so far?

UO: It is much greater than anything I ever expected. Going into college, I actually didn’t have very grandiose expectations. I figured I was gonna get my degree in Social Work, get my master’s degree, join a club here or there and hightail it outta here. But I got caught up in so much in just my first year and a half here. Coming in, a good portion of the freshman class would find me on campus and yell, “Hey, it’s Ugo from Facebook!” because I’d post a lot on the 2018 class page. It was an extremely warm welcome and I knew as soon as I got here, that I was in the right place. I’m deeply involved in two organizations, holding leadership positions in both. I am on the Loyola Drumline (which I joined on a whim and actually got in!), and I’m an executive of a non-Loyola affiliated publication. I have a job. I’ve met some of the most beautiful people I’ve ever known here at this school, and connected with the most brilliant intellectuals I’ve ever seen. And most importantly, it wasn’t until I actually got here did I finally find my mission in life: To advocate for those who do not know how, fight for those who cannot, and be the voice for the voiceless.

HC: What organizations and extracurricular activities are you involved in on campus?

UO: I am in Kapwa Loyola, a Filipino Student organization in which I am the Co-Social Justice Chairman, Council of Pan-Asian Americans in which I am the Co-Fashion Show Director/Producer, and Loyola Drumline.

HC: So, we heard you were on the news?… What were you getting interviewed for?

UO: Haha, yes I was. ABC-7 heard me speak at the demonstration on Thursday, November 12th, about standing in solidarity with the students at Mizzou during their dark and terrifying time. I suppose the most poignant thing I said that resonated with the students who fearlessly came out that day was, “If you’ve ever wondered what it was like during the 1960s during the Civil Rights movement, STOP. You’re in it right now, this is the civil rights movement of today. This is what we’re fighting for, a world where we don’t have to feel lesser, a world where we don’t have to feel scared to be in our own bodies, a world where we don’t have to demonstrate and gather like this.”

HC: Why are you passionate about social justice?

UO: Social injustice, I’ve always felt, was the root of all that is wrong in the world. Even if things like racism, sexism, ageism, ableism, etc. don’t feasibly seem possible to eradicate, does it hurt us to try? Does it hurt us to fight for a better world? No, it doesn’t. And I feel like to fight for social justice, and advocate for those who cannot is the most rewarding and good thing that someone can do for not only themselves, but for the world.

HC: Do you have any future plans to pursue a career pertaining to social justice?

UO: Of course. As a social work major, my curriculum is geared towards advocacy and social change as it is. I’m hoping to become a community organizer out of college. I want to meet people, learn what they need, learn how communities work, and help them fight for what they want. I then want to go into policy, which is where my minor in political science comes in. I know it’s a hardball game when it comes to legislation, but its something I want to get into. I want to be able to be in those rooms with other legislators fighting for what the people need. This is my end goal, really.

HC: Looking back on your college career so far, what do you believe is your biggest achievement?

UO: That really is a hard one. It’s between helping form The Black Tribune, a minority authored underground newspaper (that is taking the collegiate world by storm currently), or getting the chance to spearhead talks with Loyola administration about the revision of the university Core Curriculum to offer a more diverse and comprehensive opportunity for historical and theological studies.

HC: You still have two more years at Loyola. Do you have any goals that you would like to achieve in the near future?

UO: Hmm.. Probably find my future wife. Cause I’ve heard the dating prospects in life after college are absolutely terrible. But on a more serious note, there are plenty of things I want to get accomplished. I want to get the Core Curriculum at Loyola University changed to be more diverse and comprehensive, featuring many history courses pertaining to various cultures, ethnicities and sexes. I want The Black Tribune to be Loyola’s students of color #1 news source. I want to get an internship in community organizing. I want to study abroad. I want to get more scholarships. Honestly, the opportunities are endless, but I have got to take it one step out of time.

HC: Any advice you’d give to incoming freshman?

UO: GET INVOLVED. I know a billion people are going to tell you this exact same thing, but on a real note: Listen, your college career will not be summed up by how many A’s you got, or how many parties you went to or how many people you curved. No, you will sum it up by your experiences and the people you meet. The deeper, (and notice I said deeper, not more) you get involved on this campus, the more doors that will open for you. I wouldn’t be where I am now if I never joined Kapwa, and met the people in COPAA, and found my life mission and through advocacy, found to help form The Black Tribune. That whole “Set the world on fire” thing is actually way more legit than it sounds. You really can set the world on fire, you, yes you. So go do it.