Things You Learn During Your Last 24 Hours of Being 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

By the time this is published, I’ll be about a week into experiencing life as a 22-year-old. But, as of right now, it is 10:00 a.m. on October 9, 2019, which means I have exactly 24 hours left of being 21. In all honesty, I never gave much thought to what was to come after my last birthday, I was too absorbed in the thought of being the big 2-1. However, as the hours wind down, I find myself reflecting on all of the things I’ve learned during these past 12 months. 

1. Having a few close friends means so much more than surrounding yourself with a group of strangers.

2. Never be embarrassed by what makes you happy.

3. Just because other people have struggled more does not mean your struggle is invalid.

4. Be proud of where you came from and be excited for where you’re going.

5. Take your makeup off before bed, always. 

6. Exfoliate only a couple times a week (if at all).

7. Be kind to your body, it’s the only one you get.

8. Don’t be too prideful to mend bridges.

9. Put effort into everything you do or don’t do it at all.

10. School isn’t everything, it’s about what you do in addition to school that matters.

11. Your comfort zone will limit you, get used to pushing yourself past it.

12. Create whenever you can: write, draw, design, and build. Looking back at your creative process is the best way to see growth.

13. Being mean isn’t cool (it never was).

14. Pursue what challenges you, what makes you happy and what makes you grow.

15. Stop and pet as many dogs as you can, you’ll never regret it.

16. Peppermint tea is amazing for a nervous stomach.

17. For sore throats and colds, get the Carolina Honey tea from Argo.

18. There will be another ‘one’, and another, and another, and another. Take that however you will.

19. Love your parents as much as you can while they’re around. As you grow older they do too. 

20. Eat whatever you want when you want it, but balance it with something that your body needs. 

21. Your 21st birthday will never live up to expectations, so just surround yourself with friends and open a bottle of wine.

22. There is so much more to life than being 21, so look forward to 22.

Her Campus LUC CC Diana is a senior at Loyola University Chicago pursuing a bachelors degree in Creative Advertising, with a minor in Visual Communication. As a self-proclaimed horror novel enthusiast, avid drinker of intricate coffees, and pseudo art aficionado, Diana hopes to share her wide array of passions with the HERCampus readers.