Their Culture is Not Your Costume: How to Avoid Cultural Appropriation This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Hocus Pocus is always playing on ABC Family, the leaves are falling, and college students are stressing over what to dress up as for Halloweekend- and with that same stress comes the overwhelming ignorance of offensive costumes.

But before you reach for that culturally insensitive costume, here are some things to consider:

Even if racism is not your intent, dressing up as another culture could still have that effect.

You may really like Disney characters like Pochahontas, Mulan or Moana and that could be the sole reason you choose to dress up like them. However, these characters were from the first time that many children saw someone from a similar racial or ethnic background in the mainstream media. They aren’t just cartoons, they are depictions of people who have been underrepresented in all forms of media for years.

A costume is removable, a culture is not.

While you may get to play pretend as another culture for one night in October, you are able to take that costume and put it away in the back of your closet at the end of the season. For those in culturally appropriated groups, it’s not that simple. Their history of trauma and discrimination that stems from imperialistic practices and beliefs cannot easily be removed.

It’s okay to show appreciation for a culture, there are just better ways to do it. 

You might argue, “but I’m just trying to show my appreciation for [insert culture here]!” While that may be true, there are many more ways to do that than wearing the culture as a costume. The best way to show appreciation for a culture is to learn more about it! There are numerous online resources like videos, official websites, and blogs that you can access to learn more. If you can, go directly to the source! Talk to people of that culture to learn more about their experience and how it has shaped their lives. 

I hope that this has helped you to rethink your Halloween costume choices so that you can celebrate the holiday with sensitivity and respect in mind!

Happy Haunting!!

Amelia Ickes is a junior at Loyola University Chicago and Boston native. She is studying Multimedia Journalism with minors in political science and sport management.
Her Campus LUC CC Diana is a senior at Loyola University Chicago pursuing a bachelors degree in Creative Advertising, with a minor in Visual Communication. As a self-proclaimed horror novel enthusiast, avid drinker of intricate coffees, and pseudo art aficionado, Diana hopes to share her wide array of passions with the HERCampus readers.